Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the author of this post concerned about my queen release earlier and that the bees didn't "seem" to want her:
http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?296489-New-Package-Queen-Not-Released

Well I had direct released her after 4 days all attendants dead and wondered what would happen. Yesterday my son Jack, wife Amanda, and I opened the hive and did our first full inspection. We didn't know what we were looking at really but it looked like lots of capped brood. It was exactly 14 days since the queen release so I assume if that is what it is then all is well. The bees have 15 bars to work with (before the divider which I still have in) and have filled 9 with comb. Strangely they always seem to work toward the divider and leave the first 5 or 6 bars nearest the entrance side empty. We didn't see the queen but only inspected 5 or 6 bars before we stopped when I was convinced we were looking at brood. Here are the shots please let me know what it looks like to some of you with more experience and are there any concerns:

Bee Beehive Honeybee Honeycomb Insect

Bee Insect Beehive Membrane-winged insect Honeybee

Honeycomb Bee Beehive Honeybee Insect

Bee Honeycomb Beehive Insect Honeybee

Bee Yellow Beehive Membrane-winged insect Honeybee

We didn't see any queen cells or the queen in the combs we inspected. She had a blue mark on her back but I guess it could be gone now. Also I added one empty bar in the middle between the bars that looked like it had brood was this the right thing to do?

Thanks!

Adam

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,182 Posts
You have a lot of capped worker brood. Why do you need to see the queen? If you have a nice straight pair of combs, adding an empty bar between them will make a nice straight comb. If the combs were not straight, then the bar between them will not be either...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Michael thanks for the reply. I don't need to see the queen I guess being new it just seemed like something that folks look for but the worker brood put my mind at ease that she is in there doing her job. The combs were pretty straight had no problems there I added a bar in the middle of the brood area because I read somewhere I think that was a good thing to do but can't remember why. Maybe it was to straighten comb so wasn't needed in this case.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,182 Posts
If you have good straight brood comb, feeding empty bars in one at a time (waiting until they are drawn) is a great way to continue to get good straight comb. Les Crowder has some excellent diagrams on how to manage bars in a top bar hive, in his book.

·
Registered
About 40 Colonies
6,469 Posts
If you have good straight brood comb, feeding empty bars in one at a time (waiting until they are drawn) is a great way to continue to get good straight comb. Les Crowder has some excellent diagrams on how to manage bars in a top bar hive, in his book.
I second this about Les Crowder's book. I happened to see a picture of a couple of his diagrams somewhere and that's when I purchased it. It's really a great section explaining what/when/how to do a great number of things with your TBH.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I only saw my queen once all last summer. The main thing I look for are eggs and brood. However, someone gave me a tip -- as you go through, take a photo of each bar. Then, if you really, really want to look for the queen, you can search your photos later. However, I tried that, and I STILL couldn't find her, so I think she must have been a sprightly little thing. LOL!

I also give Les Crowder's book two thumbs up.

·
Registered
247 Posts
looks like you have plenty of capped brood and pollen you certainly have a laying queen in there so who cares if she is a little shy.
I haven't seen my queen at all this year but the hive is healthy and there are eggs, larvae, and capped brood so I know she is there.
I expect they will probably move back towards the entrance but you could move the brood nest towards the entrance one bar at a time every two weeks or so. Best of luck with your bees.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts