Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a robust package colony in a top bar with 11 bars making up the broodnest. After the 11th bar, though, follow several solid frames of uncapped honey.

Should I insert a blank bar or a partially built bar in the broodnest to see if they want to expand at this point in time or let it be? I have been feeding 1:1 and will continue to do so for at least a few more weeks before switching to 2:1.

I should also mention that there are probably 5.5 frames of capped brood in the broodnest. Maybe slightly more.

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I always like to get my comb drawn in the brood nest as opposed to at the end of the brood nest. Bees can always backfill worker brood comb with stores for winter, but they won't lay worker brood in drone or honey sized cells. So to answer your question, yes, put an empty or two in the center of the brood nest. Don't put 2 empty bars together, always have a drawn on in between. Even if the spring nectar flow is over, as long as you are feeding 1:1 in the hive, they will draw it out and the queen will jump on it to lay eggs. In a month or so, you can switch to 2:1 syrup to get them storing it for winter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts