Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My buddy built me a top-bar hive. His top bars are not pointed (see photograph). Will this be an issue?

Thanks,

Bill

top bar-2.jpg

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
There's a bunch of different ways ranging from popcicle sticks to pointed wedges. There's no reason that one won't work! And... you've got a good friend if he was willing to do all the work in on those bars for you!

You could always sand or rasp a small point on them if it made you feel better.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the comments. My buddy is a great guy and in the hobby. Further stats: bar length 171/4 inches, width 1 7/16 and the comb guide is 3/8 inch wide.

top bar three-2.jpg

top bar three-3.jpg

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Thank you for the comments. My buddy is a great guy and in the hobby. Further stats: bar length 171/4 inches, width 1 7/16 and the comb guide is 3/8 inch wide.
Awesome! I think a case/bottle of his favorite spirit is probably in order. That's a good looking hive!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I would use 1 1/4 inch bars. You may not have a problem with 1 7/16, but most people are using 1 1/4 or 1 3/8 and some use wider bars for stores. You have a very good friend indeed to help you with your hive!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is the adjustment to the comb guide... thanks everyone for your advice. Wonderful and helpful community.

Bill top bar adjustment.jpg

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Not much, but I would go to 1 1/4. But some have said that they use 1 1/2 with no problems. I've just had good results with the 1 1/4. If the bars are too wide you will end up with either ribbon combs or with cross comb. The former is really just annoying, but the later can be a big problem. The better the guide the less chance of cross comb.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>So, what is the issue/impact between a top-bar that is 1 7/16 and 1 3/8?

In the brood nest: bigger cells, more drones, more work for the bees than 1 1/4" They also might cheat over a little trying to make them smaller, but usually with 1 3/8" this would be minimal With 1 7/16 there would be more. With 1 1/2" they do it a lot.

In the honey storage area: they will likely cheat them bigger (especially the 1 3/8") and soon will be getting off of the bars.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have bars that are all 1 3/8". Seems like that should work well for the brood area, but I'll want to be carful and have some very small spacers available when my bees get to drawing honey comb. Is something like1/8" spacers what I'll be looking for?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts