Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First year, got packages April 22. Is too soon to try to split my three hives to try to make another one hive. If is not too soon what would be the best way. Take brood and bees from each and buy a queen or take a single hive and just split it.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The answers all depends upon your end goals and what you are starting out with in the first place. Are these hives in double deeps, are they well stocked with reserve honey at the moment, is your flow still on, etc. Splitting hives can be done from packages, i've done it myself, but I made sure to feed both the split and the donor colony after doing so. I used already mated queens for my splits as well so they could take off quickly.

Decide what you have to work with and verify it. Then decide what it is you really want from your bees, more colonies, less varroa, etc. Then make the plunge from there. Also it may be notable that I started with 3 lb package bees myself.. And have had two queen losses since then that i've had to make my own queens for...

·
Registered
779 Posts
Maybe you should have started with two packages...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Three, three pound packages. Have been feeding them since I hived them. They have been in second deep for two weeks. I am doing an inspection tomorrow. My end goal is to have as many hives as I can by winter. It is inevitable that some will not make it through winter. I have five frame nuc boxes I can put them in.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I got packages and have taken brood frames from them to shore up other hives.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Personally I wouldn't, but its definately possible. I would set them up heavy for winter and you will have strong hives to split in spring, perhaps even multiple times. Those splits will build up strong during the flow, then you will have more strong hives.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
First year, got packages April 22. Is too soon to try to split my three hives to try to make another one hive. If is not too soon what would be the best way. Take brood and bees from each and buy a queen or take a single hive and just split it.
In your situation and location, I would wait until around late July and split only one hive. Add a mated queen to the queenless split and feed both splits generously. Watch and learn from what happens. Protect those splits from north winds this winter and reduce their opening to help the bees guard against robbing and pests. Others would do differently. Let us know what you do and how it works out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts