Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I’m looking for some advice. I’m a brand spanking new beek who just started my first hive.

On 4-12-14 I hived my 3lb package of Italians. I’m using waxed Rite-Cell foundation in a 10 frame Lang with a hive top feeder. Everything went well except, I used a rubber band to hold the queen cage to a frame and I noticed the next day that the cage had fallen down. I have a screened bottom board and was able to see it. I opened up the hive, retrieved the cage and wedged it between 2 frames at the top and closed everything back up.

On 4-18, I did my first inspection. I saw the queen was released, and the bees had already drawn some comb on the foundation of the frames around the queen cage. I noticed some pollen, and a lot of water or syrup in the comb, but no eggs. I refilled the feeder with another 5 qts of 1:1 sugar syrup and closed up.

Today 4-24(12 days since installing), I checked again. The feeder was pretty much empty. They have drawn out comb on most of the foundation on 6 frames. I saw some more pollen, some capped honey (at the top), and a lot of liquid in most of the cells, but no eggs or brood. I did see the queen (she’s marked) so I know she’s still alive and well. I removed some burr comb from the center channel entrance of the feeder, filled it up again, and closed up.

I searched around on the forum and learned about “backfilling”. Do you think this is what’s happening? Shouldn’t I have seen some brood by now, or is it too soon?

Here is a picture of a couple of the frames.

Queens on this frame

If they keep drawing comb at this pace, I will have to add the second deep very soon.

Should I continue to feed after that so they can draw comb on the 10 new frames?

Let me know what you think

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey, it seems we live near each other and very likely have the same supplier, my queens used to be yellow marked (mark came off) as well and pickup on the 12th. We also seem to have similar questions. Here is a link to my question and the answers I got: http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?296409-1-week-old-package-quot-honey-bound-quot

Let me know when she starts laying. I got nervous so I put a frame of eggs from another hive. BTW, mine has pulled down over 3 gallons of sugar water since the 12th, and the advice was to keep feeding till they don't want it or they have the brood all built out. Best of luck!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Teipsum is right.
The glare is horseshoe shaped so it could easily be mistaken for larvae. I have the original picture and can zoom in really close.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, it seems we live near each other and very likely have the same supplier, my queens used to be yellow marked (mark came off) as well and pickup on the 12th. We also seem to have similar questions. Here is a link to my question and the answers I got: http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?296409-1-week-old-package-quot-honey-bound-quot

Let me know when she starts laying. I got nervous so I put a frame of eggs from another hive. BTW, mine has pulled down over 3 gallons of sugar water since the 12th, and the advice was to keep feeding till they don't want it or they have the brood all built out. Best of luck!
We are close. I actually picked up my package in Dixon. After reading your thread I guess I will just wait a little longer and check again. I may end up putting the 2nd deep on also. They need to draw that one out from scratch, so I guess keep feeding. :s

1 - 10 of 10 Posts