Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Everyone

This will be my second year beekeeping. I have one hive that I started from a package in May of last year and a late split.
The package of Carniola's are doing really well very busy today. The split of Italians are doing good also. My plans are to make early splits this year. So I'm feeding both syrup and Mega bee. They are taking the Mega bee dry fast. I have a queen ordered for April 21st to make the split. But now I'm wondering if I'm causing the to swarm early Before My queens arrive. I was told that they start to swarm end of April in my area. Any thoughts? Thanks all!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The carnies have started to fill the medium supers with brood as well so I do think of adding another medium super, but I'm wondering if I should put the empty super in between the bottom deep and the medium with the brood or just on top. Again this is for a split not honey production.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
The carnies have started to fill the medium supers with brood as well so I do think of adding another medium super, but I'm wondering if I should put the empty super in between the bottom deep and the medium with the brood or just on top. Again this is for a split not honey production.
You might consider top supering. Place at least two frames of brood in your top super to bait the bees up and intersperce the lower open place where you removed the bait combs.
Good Luck,
Ernie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts