Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my bees are hauling in necter faster than they are drawing comb. It looks to me like the queen does not have much room to lay. Should I worry about it or do they know better than me?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well I'm a new to this too, but I would say no. As long as they have a place to draw comb then they will take care of their needs. Bees have been doing this for much longer than we have been taking are of them.

·
Registered
175 Posts
A queen with no room to lay will swarm, you need to open the brood nest, search checkerboarding on this site, this part of beekeeping can one of the most difficult to learn, good luck
Bob

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
"checkerboarding" (as discussed here on beesource) is often simplified to "put a frame of foundation between every two combs"....there is much more to this (including timing), so don't do this unless you actually understand what is being done.

with that said, one of the nice things about foundation is that (unlike foundationless comb), the queen can lay eggs in it BEFORE the workers can store nectar in the cells. a few frames of foundation on the outskirts of the broodnest (or in the middle if you have a very crowded colony) should give the queen a place to lay.

deknow

1 - 4 of 4 Posts