Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hive that seems like 1/2 of it died out. I am thinking that maybe they over heated.? Seems like there were lots of dead ones and emerging dead ones etc.? What does it look like if it got too hot inside.? They were such a strong hive and now not so much. I put on a SBB and opened the top opening so it is much more vented but, a little to late for some of them. Threw some brood from another hive so they could build back up and make a queen since I did not see any new brood.

What are they symptoms of poor circulation? Did not see to much bearding on the box prior to opening.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Massive death numbers are more often linked to pesticides or something toxic in their part of the world. What type of temps are you talking? We've already hit mid 90's around here last weekend and I don't recall seeing any washboarding, but a lot of fanning gong on. They've survived well with our recent crazy temperature swings.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This was a swarm I caught so I am thinking they did not like the queen not surviving. It has not been to warm. Maybe the stress of the vac and move from their home. Location is on 30 miles so that was not the issue. I saved most of their comb so that is not it. Pesticides was not it either.

If the entrance was to small could it be an o2 issue?

·
Registered
102 Posts
sounds like my hive, not much action going on. after an inspection by experienced beek, he found out the hive is queenless. introduce a new queen then see how things pan out. so i am in agreement with swede.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am defiantly having queen issues this year. I think several of my packages the queens did not make it. And the ones that did make it have lousy laying queens. I bought 20 packages and only 5 of them are doing well.

Expensive way to expand.:cry:

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Most likely not a heat issue. Bees live in trees with very small openings and no other ventilation except their own fanning methods.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I am defiantly having queen issues this year. I think several of my packages the queens did not make it. And the ones that did make it have lousy laying queens. I bought 20 packages and only 5 of them are doing well.

Expensive way to expand.:cry:
where did they come from...the packages?

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got my bee's from the local shop south of me who got them from Good Ole Cali. I would talk to the owner but, he died a month before he was a beek for his whole life he was a great man. So now I just salvage what I got and try to make them recover. I think it is the queens that are giving me such a headache.

Why when a hive becomes queen-less do they commit Hairy Cairy.?

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What I meant to say was why do they commit hair cairy.? Seems the hives that have the most losses are the queen-less ones.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts