Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Modified a 6 frame nuc to house a Varroa floor and I have ended up with 1.5 inches of bottom bee space. How much of an issue will this could this be? I have fully put the nuc back together with some wood glue and screws before checking so its not gonna be an easy fix to remedy and might even break the nuc trying to take it apart again. I did read bottom bee space can be larger than most other areas but 1.5 inches could be too much

·
Registered
361 Posts
Well, imagine if you were using a top frame or a hive that used frames without foundation. They would have 100% bottom space until they got to the bottom. In addition, if you have ever put the wrong frame in the wrong box like a medium in a deep, they will continue drawing wax on the underside of the bottom bar if they are interested in going down. I have been assured that they will not glue the frame to the floor. There are also people that make nucs for transporting frames around the beeyard, or even for grabbing a frame with a queen cell on it, and intentionally make it deeper so to not harm the queen cell hanging off the bottom of the comb. I think your 1-1/2" should be fine. Worst case is that they will build on the bottom of the frames.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
I routinely have 2-3 inch and don't sweat it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts