Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a queen for a swarm that I thought was queen less. I searched and searched for her. Never could find her. Queen has a delivery date of tomorrow, it was already shipped. We'll I was moving the bees from a nuc to a larger hive body and holy crap I found her. Very very dark.

On another hive I have a queen that is putting out lots of drone comb along with quite a bit of worker comb. It is foundation less so I am attributing it to that. Seems like a lot of eggs in the drone comb but it is also has a lot of stored syrup in it as we'll. should I requeen this package?

Second option is to make a new hive. Two of the packages merged because one was missing a queen from the start. The numbers in this hive is very high along with another. Should I make a new split?

I have this queen coming and I would hate to waste $30 and let this queen die.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Pull a few frames and start a nuc today. At least one frame of worker brood. Shake some from the combined package. Then you could install the new Queen on Wednesday.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would I need to relocate this nuc from.the parent hives?

·
Registered
737 Posts
If you can.
You could screen the entrance for a day or two if you cant relocate them. Then place some thing in front of the entrance so they have to reorient to the new position.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts