Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 hives. One doesnt have any queen cells, second maybe one or two every now and so often, third has like 10 or so queen cells. I keep cutting them queen cells but they keep making them even thou queen is present. I was wondering that being a Saskatraz type it is normal for them?

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Are you talking about empty queen cups built on the comb or ones with eggs or larvae in them? "Charged cells"? If empty they are queen cups; not till they have eggs and larvae are they considered "Queen Cells"

Some colonies always have a few queen cups, some have many or none.

Cutting out functional queen cells can be bad business if they are emergency or supercedure cells and not likely to succeed for long as a swarm control measure if that were the purpose of cutting them out.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If they are Supersedure cells there is a reason the bees desire to supersede the queen. Supersedure Unless the new queen fails rarely have a negative impact on the hive and are a natural part of hive maintenance. Like frank said doing so for swarm management rarely works for long. Much better to do a walk away split and make them think they already swarmed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts