Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have on question about my bees. When checking my bees on Sunday May 18th I found my hives in great condition but I found one hive that was just completely booming with bees. I found a few swarm cells which usually I will just remove, which I did, but, this particular hive is a great honey producer and currently has (4) honey supers on and two of them are almost full. I didn't really want to split it this early because of the honey. I also have a swarm box that currently has a swarm in it. I don't think it was from this hive, but, I couldn't find the queen though this isn't a surprise with all these bees. The main concern is two capped queen swarm cells, I did find eggs so at least there was a queen there 3 days ago.
My question is "What do you do when such a good hive has swarm cells"? It's a great problem to have when you have this many bees in a box, I just don't want to lose the bees or the honey production.
Hope I haven't confused you too much!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Re: To many bees

I ain't the smartest Beek in the world, I'd add another deep to give them room then I'd pull it when I did my split. I'd add it to the split hive.
I would also swap out new frames for drawn out ones and add them to the new split.
Just sayin!

·
Registered
32 Posts

I'd take the queen and five frames of open brood (with bees on them) and stores. put them in a nuke (which has entrance blocked so workers don't leave). Then shake some more bees in including workers. Replace those frames with foundation. Take the nuke 2 miles or more away and add a second box to it until the are strong enough to put in a reg hive. Hopefully the main hive will think they have swarmed and loose the drive to do so. Make sure to leave the swarm cells in main hive. They will still be putting up honey while requeening. You may have to move out some frames from brood area if they fill with honey to make room for new queen to lay in in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
32 Posts

If new queen for some reason doesn't happen you just marry the original queen back to original hive and let the nuk requeen itself. It's always good to have nukes.

·
Registered
493 Posts

I notice that you are in Ohio. Your weather probably isn't that much better than here in Illinois. I am amazed you have 2 suppers almost filled with honey.When did your nectar flow start and are how many lower brood boxes do you use? Perhaps I didn't understand.Also Zanesville may be at he southern part of the state with warmer weather.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but if I found a hive with only two capped queen cells and it still has eggs, I wouldn't be thinking swarm. It would sound more like supercedure.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts

Sounds more like supercedure, let them do it, you might even get more honey out of it....unless they do swarm, but with only 2 cells it sounds unlikely.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but if I found a hive with only two capped queen cells and it still has eggs, I wouldn't be thinking swarm. It would sound more like supercedure.
I would be thinking along those same lines.

Two clells typically indicate a supercedure. Are you positive you didnt miss any other queen cells?

Shane

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm in Ohio in the North most county, up by the lake, I just did a split one week ago and plan to do another this week.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
So keep up with the supers. Pull the fully capped one if you have to but don't let them run out of space.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

First, this hive consist of two deeps and one shallow. The flow here started a couple of weeks ago and is in full go right now. This hive currently has four supers sitting up top. Zanesville is in the southeast part, it is a little warmer here than say Toledo or Cleveland.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The hive ended up having about six swarm cells. They definitely were swarm and not supercedure.
I would be thinking along those same lines.

Two cells typically indicate a supercedure. Are you positive you didn't miss any other queen cells?

Shane

1 - 13 of 13 Posts