Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been an overwhelming year for growth and I need to cut down on my number of hives. We wanted 20-25 and are pushing 35-40 at the moment and I want to sell about 6 full strength single deep 8 frame hives in about 10 days.

Half are singles now and on the verge of needing a super, the rest have already been supered. We still have a good flow going, and these hives are thriving.

I don't want these hives overloaded to the point they are prepping to swarm but I want good coverage on all the frames. My thoughts are to inspect, determine queen is laying well, make sure there are 4 or 5 frames of brood, and introduce an undrawn frame at position 7 to keep the wax makers busy. I will cull any poorly drawn frames at that time. Any colonies that appear overloaded with bees or where I need to remove a super, I was planning to move to a staging area and put another box back where the original hive was. I was planning newspaper combining the excess foraging bees with hives in an outyard.

Any comments appreciated.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I was planning to move to a staging area and put another box back where the original hive was. I was planning newspaper combining the excess foraging bees with hives in an outyard

Sounds if you have a good plan there.. .. Advertise and market the heck out of those Texas bees....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts