Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
66 degrees f, 18.8 C is the temp now. I want to put some empty comb in my hive 3, but they have lots of hanging comb on the bottom of the frames. I started the process of moving the deeps out and have the deeps mixed in with mediums hanging in two medium boxes. Plan was to cut the comb and install it into empty frames when the winter was over. She is so full of capped brood that they are starting to make queen cups. Due to the move earlier from a deep nuc to a 10 frame, there are only 7 frames actually in there. I want to carefully space the few frames of empty comb we have so that they are medium over medium, but that leaves frames next to them hanging down through both mediums. As you can imagine, spacing it right is not the easiest. My other half wants to go ahead and cut the comb off the medium frames and rubber band it into frames so the spacing is easier to do. I'm not sure it is warm enough. The study I found on cold issues and longevity was set at 68 F, but the exposure was for 12 hrs. They found issues in development and longevity.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Above 13°C/55°F is fine, but not for more than several minutes if you pull brood frames out. Above 18°C you should be able to have them out longer.

If you have only 7 frames across in a 10 frame box I would make sure you have Medium frames with at least partial foundation, in both the top Medium and bottom one to make them both 10 frames across.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. We did go ahead and do it. I think they are 8 across now and we hope to add more tomorrow as they build out what is there. The partial box comes from ditching deeps, having them in a deep nuc before that decision was made, and then them ignoring side frames and building down instead. The queen appeared to be doing very good and building up fast. The first day they threw out dead larvae, but since we cut through sections of larvae, we expected that. They don't sound particularly loud. Hopefully when we check them tomorrow we will find signs that the queen is still there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts