Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a queenless hive. Today I added 2 frames of eggs from another hive. Is there enough time for the hive to raise a queen? Or should I just combine the hive with one of my strong ones? I'm in the southeast corner of Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
6a 3rd yr 5 production hives 1/ 2 q resource hive
467 Posts
Getting late but not impossible. Are drones flying? That answer will tell you. I have a iffy hive on watch. They have a new queen. I will not let a weak colony go into winter so I’m feeding heavily and they will be reevaluated again in two weeks for a possible combine.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wound up combining the hive with one of my strong hives this morning. Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think that was a wise choice. Saves both the adult bees and the brood to build for the winter.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I think that was a wise choice. Saves both the adult bees and the brood to build for the winter.
I am in Michigan and the last two years my drones got kicked out of their hives on October 10, so I think you could possibly have gotten a queen mated. I do however agree that the combine was the best choice.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have queens coming up around 9-26, which I felt ok (but not good) about until the last few cooler days (highs low 70sF). If mine make it back they are going into 4-way nucs to be wintered. I would not feel good about my odds for starting today with a new batch. We have thousands of drones but I am feeding to keep that illusion going another 2-3 weeks. They may kill them all tomorrow. Then I'll do some combining like you did.

The only reason I started any this late was I gave away a couple of queens, then realized one was a bloodline I wanted to keep. Still had her eggs/larvae available.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I checked my hives a couple weeks after pulling honey, so the first week of September. I'm located in central Alberta, Canada. One hive was full of honey stores in both brood boxes, queenless with 3 supersedure queen cells in the middle of the lower box. I pulled the top box and combined it with weak hive that I knew wouldnt survive winter without some help. It had a good queen though, just got off to a late start. I figured the other hive was a goner but the cells were already capped and drones were still around (September is getting pretty late around here). Anyways, two weeks later (middle of September) I was pleasantly surprised to see a laying queen. The hive still was strong with bees and full of stores so I will be chancing it as a single deep for winter. Looking forward to seeing how it fares.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts