Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not get Apivar in late summer or over the winter and now it is warming up. Is it too late to put in something like Apiguard? I would like to treat for a bit before I put honey supers on.

It was in the mid 70s today...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds good, but I do not have the equipment to do oxalic acid vapor treatment. What is a good alternative?

·
Registered
46 Posts
You can fog with mineral oil with a few ( approx. 15) drops of wintergreen oil. Treat every 3 weeks as long as its warm enough for the bees to be flying. This is what FBM shows on his channel on youtube.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
Your temps are probably good to use Apiguard so that shouldn't hold you back but my recollection is that some beekeepers had brood problems in the spring if they used it. I think they were concerned with the queen slowing down while the Apiguard was in the hive and preferred to use it in the fall or during a dearth so long as the temps weren't too high. Maybe someone here has more experience with that.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
If your daytime highs are not over 84* yet, you could use MAQS. 7 days, and if needed can be done with supers on. I think Mann Lake is currently running a sale on MAQS that is nearing its expiration date- still usable, and shelf-life for unused product can be extended by refrigerating or freezing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts