Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went in today to remove a honey super to keep the bees from swarming.

Some of the outer frames were a bit light with honey.

Can I feed for a week or 2 to get some more food in the stores?

Or am I too late?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yes, about 6 weeks to late to feed. You should have started in Sept even if they were still out foraging.
hope your hives are ready for the snow storm coming this next few days, winter cold is here.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I doubt that your bees would be trying to swarm in November, if they are short on stores you should leave the honey super for the bee's winter food.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I made a gallon of super sugar water
And the bees sucked it down in 2 days.

I know I was late, but the bees took it this week while it was relatively mild.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Clark, I am still feeding down here in Richmond. I believe my weather is similar to yours so while it is awfully late to be starting, it is not too late to boost their stores a little. Just make the syrup as thick as you can, no weaker than 2:1, to cut back on moisture. We should have quite a few good foraging days left.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not too late, from my experience. I've been feeding for about 2-3 weeks and I still am. I have inverted bottle feeders inside a super over the inner cover hole. I do 5:3 syrup with some Honeybee Healthy. The feeders are still on and they are still drinking it up. Went through 15-18 gallons so far for six hives. I'll leave the syrup on for another couple of weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts