Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in Northern MN. I received my bees as a nuc and all seemed well for the first few weeks. I couldn't find a queen but had plenty of larvae. I couldn't see eggs but the foundation on the frames was really dark so I wasn't horribly concerned. Now i have no larvae. I looked hard and can't find any eggs. My guess is that I never had a queen, or I killed her when I transferred the frames from the nuc. Sooo......Can I re-queen or is it too late? If I do, where can I get a queen? I don't know of anyone local who raises queens. Any advice would be great.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I'd go back to the person who I got the nuc from. Explain the situation. Making sure that you don't blame him/her. Get their advice. Ya neverknow. Maybe they will take pity on you and give you another nuc or maybe a frame of eggs and bees. If they are in the business of selling nucs, it seems like they might want you to buy another next year and for you to tell all of your friends what good people they are.

Go back to the source.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I agree with going back to the supplier but I would shoot for getting their help to find a queen. It will gain you 30 plus days verses adding eggs and letting them grow their own. Remember if you introduce eggs and it takes 20 days for a queen and about a week to mate and then some time to get laying, then 3 weeks for her eggs to start emerging, your bees will be with out any new bees for a long time. Especially if they have been queenless very long.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Buy another nuc. That would fix your problem.

Trying to introduce a queen at this time would probably be money down the drain. After they have been w/out a queen for a while they will either start thier own from a young larvae or a worker or two will start laying eggs. Eithercase, they "think" that they have a queen and what ever queen you try to introduce will be killed.

·
Registered
706 Posts
late season requeening is good a hive can be with out a queen for a bout a week. and if oyu requeen late less chance of a swarm next year.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Also, check with your local beekeeping club(s).
Possibly somebody can sell you a frame of brood and bees and or a queen cell/virgin/mated queen. I did this in the Spring and saved a hive that had dwindled to a handful of bees (after robbing had started and gone unnoticed after I installed an entrance feeder) .... and another beek kindly sold me a deep frame of brood and bees and helped me to save my overwintered queen from demise!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts