Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time beekeeper here in N. GA and despite my efforts, the hive I started in May seems to be doing well!

I currently have just the brood Chamber with a medium super on top of it. The medium super is FULL of honey (although sugar water honey) and there’s at least 3 frames (out of 10) in the brood chamber also filled with honey.

Question is: is it too late in the season to add a queen excluder and put on a shallow honey super (without feeding syrup) in the hopes of a harvest or should I just add another medium super so they can continue storing up for the winter?

Thanks!

·
Registered
961 Posts
I will be adding supers this weekend to see if they can produce any goldenrod honey. It can't hurt. Although if the frames are not drawn, they probably won't touch them.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Getting them to draw out comb will be your issue. If there is a flow on, go for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Getting them to draw out comb will be your issue. If there is a flow on, go for it.
Well, I do have a short super with old (as in years) comb already drawn. Frames are in good condition and have been frozen. I assume old comb probably doesn’t result in good tasting honey though?

May put it on any for additional room, then the queen excluder and honey super. Couldn’t hurt right?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts