Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started two tb hives from nucs this spring. One was clearly stronger than the other from the get go, and over the course of the spring/summer the stronger hive has donated several bars to help other hives. Even after these donations, the strong hive has just about filled the entire tb hive. I am planning on harvesting 4-5 bars of honey this weekend, but I was thinking......

Is it too late to rearrange some bars in the brood nest? The bars from the original nuc are shorter than the bars I use, and I used 2" screws on each end of the nuc top bars to span the "gap". Thus, I have 5 bars in the hive that don't fit correctly on my hive, they leave a gap on each side, and I'm worried about leaving those bars in the hive over the winter. Since I'm planning on harvesting honey this weekend, I am hoping to also rearrange the brood nest to put these short bars at the very back of the hive. With luck, there may be enough time for the brood to hatch and the bees to fill the combs on these short bars with honey.

Thoughts? Am I thinking about this correctly? I would appreciate some advice.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
If your fall flows are strong enough for the bees to pull in extra honey above and beyond what is needed for them to raise the brood that they want into winter, then yes it should work fine. If your flows are not strong enough, then they won't get them drawn and/or filled in time for winter. I don't know your location flows and weather so can not advise you any more than this.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
Just do things in small increments and you should be fine. I would hesitate to do them all at once. I would just rearrange things and don't steal too many combs right now until you get what you want drawn.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice.

Ray, where my hives are located we have a good amount of time (45+ days or so) before the first hard frosts. The hive has **plenty**of capped honey and nectar, and I'll leave more than enough for winter. My main goal is to get the odd size top bars out of the hive.

Cheers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts