Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is in the fifties today and not blowing a hurricane which is what is normal when it is that warm here this date. I have done my broodless OA vaporization. The bees are wrapped and well stocked with stores and have a MC insurance policy. No snow on the flats but the snow pack is piling up in the mountains which is vital for irrigation and the by product honey crop.

In less than two months I will be starting to feed pollen patties to stimulate brood rearing. It is scary when things look so good!:D

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Yup! Then comes Jan Feb and March. You are a glass half full guy and are probably feeling good because you drank half the glass! J

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The point is the glass is still pretty full! It gets colder here than your temperatures but due to downslope heating off the Rockies, I will get flying weather at least half a dozen times in those three months. I routinely check in early January to make sure no hogs have depleted stores and add sugar bricks if they have. Its a Wonderful World! Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Yep, same here. Feeling optimistic here, also. Temps have not been below 0°F yet and the last 3 days have been in the 30s, with bees flying yesterday. I finished wrapping my hives with 1 1/2" pink insulation this weekend. Took my stethoscope to eavesdrop on them and so far all 14 are alive and buzzing. I'm keeping my hopes up because I took three singles into winter this year, as well as a 3-pack of 6/6 nucs, and one of my doubles stored nothing this fall, so they're going to be eating a lot of sugar off the ceiling!

It's only mid-December! January and February are usually the coldest months here. March usually brings the most snow.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
It's those late spring cold snaps after a period of warmer days that seem to do the most damage for me. So I tend to keep an eye on any ladies with musical talents and avoid too much optimism until henbit and dead nettle make their appearance.

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts