Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been raining here all day today; been in the mid-70's and is down to 70 now at 6:15. Humidity's probably about 75-80%. My two-queen hive is showing evidence of lack of ventilation---several bees just sitting around outside on the landing board. Configuration from bottom up is SBB, Deep, Queen Excluder, honey super, honey super, queen excluder, Imirie shim, Deep, queen excluder, honey super Imirie shim, honey super, inner cover, outer cover. The inner cover has round head screws in each corner to lift the outer cover a little. The inside of the outer cover doesn't look damp. Do you think it's just the weather and that it's a temporary thing? My gut instinct is that I'm worrying for nothing and they'll be fine once the sun comes out, but I'm hoping for some "professional assurance." This two-queen colony thing is new to me and I'm a little jumpy about it.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
"several bees" hanging outside is nothing. When you have what looks like half the hive out, then I'd open things up a bit for ventilation and if they still do I wouldn't worry too much. I've seen the whole front of the hive covered on a hot night.

I assume the SBB is already open?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Michael. I figured it was nothing to worry about, but you know us newbies. I have to go back and reread your post about "don't worry; be happy." Yes, the SBB is open--I leave them open on all my hives year round--unless situation dictates otherwise.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yuk! Glad I'm in NC! That cold weather's exactly the reason I left NJ. We had some cold nights during the winter--a few in the teens--but I had the screens open on both my strong hives and had the weaker one closed up. The two stronger ones both swarmed this spring, the stronger of the two swarmed twice (that's my two queener now), so leaving the bottom board open was no detriment to them here in the south.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts