Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking my lunch break now... it's a balmy 15 degrees outside in the sun. But in my unheated shop, it's a toasty 32! I'm in insulated overalls, hat, gloves with thumb, index and middle finger cut out so I can assemble frames.
At what temp do you stop working in your unheated shop? No gloating if you have a heated shop! :no:
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Depends on what I have to get done. If it's sunny outside I will work in the 20s and if its too cold I will work in the garage where it stays about 50 so the pipes don't freeze. Either way it's what has to get done that drives the work, not the temp per say.

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
65 - 85 degrees. I have two types of propane heaters and two types of electric.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Dude
I live in Florida and it's going down to 19 F. Tonight.
I feel your pain. ;-)

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
If I need a break from my lovely kids:eek:. It can't get too cold to stop me. My shed is unheated. Last week I was in it making a couple of queen castles when it was 6 degrees F, but sunny:). Of course with insulated boots, overalls, a coat and hat it is tolerable. In my native England it rarely got below 32 degrees, but it was cloudy, wet and a lot more miserable. Adrian.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm with honeydreams...life's too short to be miserable. I just sent off for a sent of plans to build a wood burning outdoor furnace that pumps heat into the shop. I'm thinking trying to build frames with gloves on is like trying to sew while wearing boxing gloves:D

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Why not make you one of those wood heaters out of a metal 55gal drum. You can buy a kit on line or just make it yourself. I can tell you for sure they put out some serious heat and you can just unhook it and move it out of the way in the summer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I went out to the barn this morning to spend the day building supers. The LB White heater had a hard time keeping up today....-12 below today in northern iowa, and its been this way for a long time! Get's old after awhile, that's for sure. At least it's supposed to warm up a little next week.

·
Registered
435 Posts
My shop is an old dairy barn that i put a wood heater in. It's nice to have a way to burn up my scraps.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
27 degrees here in central Florida, boy were not used to this down here. Might have to don gloves to work on frames tomorrow....weird weather.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
SgtMaj

Funny my wife says it is worth it to get me out of the house :eek:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As I began this thread with the idea my shop is unheated... I do woodworking, which raises sawdust, though I have a nice dust collection system, both vac at source, and overhead filter. Also have some Model T's iin the shop, with gasoline. I'm real leery of open flame... working at grain elevators in my younger days, was very aware of dust explosions caused by spark or flame. And I'm too cheap to pay for electric heat.

So we do what we have to do, so we can try to stay ahead of the bees. Assembling frames with gloves isn't too bad. I get the cheap cotton ones from local big box store, cut the thumb, index, and middle fingers off the gloves so I can handle stuff... that does keep the hands decently warm. But I'd rather spring were here... except I have toooooo much to do before Spring arrives!

I'm glad I'm not further north, like some of you. But don't envy you folks further south, as my shop, with a fan, is pretty nice in the middle of July!
Regards,
Steven

·
Banned
840 Posts
well, I am here in Omaha, NE and i am SO glad I built my woodshop in the basement of my house. heated, I can go down most anytime and work on something when I want to, nice and comfy. heh

up until this year, I had to lug all my tools out to the driveway.

Big Bear

1 - 18 of 18 Posts