Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out to take a look at my freshly hived nuc today. It was around 2:00 and around 87 degrees outside. As I went up to the hive bees were everywhere, all over the front of the hive and flying around the front. I was not sure whether they were trying to abscond or what as there were ants going in and out of the top feeder. I lifted off my top to reveal the top feeder and then a few minutes later added the lid back and then everything seemed fine the bees returned and went to normal work.

So does this sound like absconding or just them trying to cool the hive on a hot day?

Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mine did the same thing too. Looks like absconding, but my queen is still in her cage. Came back later - all seems well (still not being friendly to queen, so I won't release her yet). Weird day too, for my 5 day old hive...

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
sure they werent orienting......? I have HUGE orientation flights that I hav emistaken for swarming before....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Some of my new packages did the same thing 3 days after installing them. It was in the mid 80's, they were orientating but it was hot in those 8 frames. I found that some packages drifted and made crowded situations. They were hot, so we added a second deep and they immediately started drawing comb. They are kick'n hive's already.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help everybody, orienting makes much more sense. Being a first time beekeeper I freak out every time I see something new. They are looking great today however, and are hard at work on this beautiful day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts