Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today when I inspected my two packages that were installed on March 28, this is what I found. Are these drone cells there were several on 2 frames in both hives. I removed what Looked like a queen cell, the pictures I attached came from the hove that had the queen cell. Both hives appeared to have lots of capped brood and lots of larva in them. Not really sure what I was looking at but does this look normal. image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
133 Posts
I wouldn't pull supersedure cells if you don't know what your looking at. The hive might have needed to requeen due to loss or decided to supersede her. The cells are their only chance of a queen with the egg and larva age.

Next inspection, look for a queen or eggs. If you don't see them, you'll need a plan to requeen, or what to do with the hive.

·
Registered
977 Posts
yes those are drone cells, did you start with foundation or drawn comb. if foundation then give them a while, the most important thing to look for is day old eggs, if you have them then you have a queen... best hope for the year...

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
looking good, drones are fine. I personally do not remove superseder cells, unless there are a few and im moving them one for a split or something. Its somewhat common for a package queen to be superseded, sometimes the queen is poor often reared too early, mated poorly, underfed, other times the bees are under the assumption shes poor because she doesn't have the workforce of workers to support rapid expansion. Ie shooken bees could be of any age, old and new, old bees die quick.

What you thought was a "queen cell" could have been a drone cell or just a cup.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts