Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

So in preparation of getting my bees from a local beekeeper and spending the money it looks like mother nature decided to help me out. It looks like I have a bunch of bees scouting out my hives and getting ready to swarm in!

Does this happen very often? Is there anything I should and shouldn't do?

I'm really excited to finally start up beekeeping and now for free!

·
Registered
635 Posts
just leave them alone. it took a couple 3 or 4 days for them to decide to move in on me last year. I assime you have frames i nthe hives? i do foundationless so I leave all my swarm traps with empty frames or with one or two old drawn combs andlet them do their thing for a week or so before I move them.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,192 Posts
>Does this happen very often? Is there anything I should and shouldn't do?

You shouldn't bother them. The scouts are hoping for a secure home. If you suddenly rip the lid off, the illusion of security will evaporate...

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Anything new happen with your bait hive?

This morning I went into my garage to find a bunch of bees checking out a 4 frame nuk I have in there that had one frame of partial comb. I took off the lid and another 50 bees inside. I was getting ready for work and don't want bees moving into the garage so I took off the lid and quickly set up a 5 frame nuk with lgo and queen juice in the back yard.

Isn't it fun to watch? Last year I had the same thing happen, and the bees did move into the backyark nuk once I set it up. Next day, I believe. This year I've had 2 move in, and in both cases it was the next day after scouts began checking it out.

Once they move in, I leave it alone for at least a week. Then I peek, without moving the frames or anything, and lift it a bit from the back to check the weight.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/avshing6xexfuk0/8ZjFtcX82s
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/5fmlzc0lmyw14il/dkEpPdUux8

1 - 4 of 4 Posts