Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
3401 - 3414 of 3414 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
Yes, the time for hive top feeder is close to being over.

I checked some today at least it looks like they're backfilling more than brooding finally.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
A question; when combining hives by newspaper does it matter if you add the queen right colony to the queenless one Or should it be the reverse?Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Which one is stronger? That may be a better determination for which one gets moved.
My idea was to use the dbl nuc, make a 2 deeps from it and put that on the 2 big queenless ones, 2 are smaller. This year I have 4 so far out of 24 that are queenless. One was good before I put the ApiVar strips in; would the queen stop laying with them? This is the first time I’ve used them.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
I used apivar once last summer (and in a couple of colonies this fall with mite bomb counts 10%). Last year, it noticeably decrease new queen mating success, but I didn't see any issues with existing queens.

It's somewhat effective against mites.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
I used apivar once last summer (and in a couple of colonies this fall with mite bomb counts 10%). Last year, it noticeably decrease new queen mating success, but I didn't see any issues with existing queens.

It's somewhat effective against mites.
Using the Provap during the season helped a lot with mites; I used the ApiVar as a late treatment, and I was somewhat hesitant because now I have to open the hives to remove the strips. I am thinking it would not hurt to leave them in. The label said it would increase the chance of the bees forming a resistance to ApiVar, but the winter bees will all of died by next Spring. I haven’t bought bees since 2016, just queens so I am not sure if I will use again. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Using the Provap during the season helped a lot with mites; I used the ApiVar as a late treatment, and I was somewhat hesitant because now I have to open the hives to remove the strips. I am thinking it would not hurt to leave them in. The label said it would increase the chance of the bees forming a resistance to ApiVar, but the winter bees will all of died by next Spring. I haven’t bought bees since 2016, just queens so I am not sure if I will use again. Thanks for your input.
Clover, do you mean the reason stated to remove the strips is avoid the increased chance of the mites forming a resistance to apivar?

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Clover, do you mean the reason stated to remove the strips is avoid the increased chance of the mites forming a resistance to apivar?
Ugh, senior moment Clyde!

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,541 Posts
my mite numbers are down, but this hive is still to high

Just a few mites on the formic strip, another one went in when this one came out

Food Ingredient Recipe Wood Cuisine

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
my mite numbers are down, but this hive is still to high

Just a few mites on the formic strip, another one went in when this one came out

View attachment 65766
In all my years of using MAQS and Formic Pro I have never seen dead mites on the strips themselves.

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,541 Posts
@elmer_fud

Have you done a mite wash to determine the mite level?
it was bad, but it is going down finally. I have checked several times

june 27 - 3 mites in 1/3ish cup
8 aug - 13 mites in about 1/3 ish cup, I started OAV about this time
11 sep - 31 mites after several (4 I think, about every 7 days) OAV rounds. I should have done it every 5 days, but I was busy during the week
1 oct - 24 mites. formic went in
10 oct - 6 mites, but I dont think I did as good of a sugar roll this time. Pic was from this day

I think the fact that this hive was big (1 deep+4 mediums) meant the OAV was not getting thru the hive as well. I also am wondering if they were picking up mites from somewhere. My other hives have been under 6-8 mites every time I checked them, this one seemed to be determined to become a mite bomb though.

·
Registered
6a 4th yr 9 colonies inc. 2 resource hives
743 Posts
Did a late fall single OAV today as a test after the full series in August (8 total every 3 days). Ever since I read that story about drift and picking up mites from mite bombs I do a check in October. Put in their screened in feeding shim so I can supplement feed through winter by just opening the top of the stack. Covered with burlap and quilted inner cover. Haven't put on their Bee Cozy's or put mouse guards on. Not quite cold enough for that. Also planted hardy annuals and bulbs for spring. It's weird planting starts right now but I read this book called "Cool Flowers" and the author convinced me to try it. Soon I'll start direct sowing Bells of Ireland, Larkspur, Nigella, Bachelors Buttons and Poppies.

3401 - 3414 of 3414 Posts