Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

3061 - 3080 of 3090 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mid 50s & sunny today in SC. Took a peak in hives at my other bee yard today. Bees look pretty good. they had gone through the cane sugar mixed w/ pollen on the inner cover. Added another helping to each. Bees were active and almost every bee coming in had pollen. It is supposed to be in the mid 60s Wed & Thurs this next week. I plan on manipulating frames and brood boxes to get a good judge of where the hives are at for the flow that is right around the corner....
Hope everyone else is finally seeing some positive signs as well..

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
LJ, good to see you posting again. Agree, still too early to be counting chickens.
Thanks.

Lots of activity today ('shirt-sleeve' weather is persisting) - spotted the first pollen coming in: orange, so I guess it's from snow-drops, as nothing else is in flower right now, afaik. Could be an early start ? On the other hand ...
LJ

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Okay.......I've been busy lately and haven't visited for awhile....election years can do that to me. All I have to say is that I didn't like the outcome, but can't seem to make any difference. :mad:

Then winter comes along with low temps like -17º for a few weeks and 5-10º for daytime highs. Geeez, I hope that's done for this year.

Finally a quick warm up into the low 60's today.....ah. I popped the lids on my 20 colonies today and find that their sugar in nearly gone. I put out a couple of cardboard nuc boxes with pollen substitute and the bees are going crazy over them. Tomorrow I'll be adding sugar brick to make sure they don't starve until we get something to bloom here.

The colonies (2) in my one long lang.......1-1. The larger of the two looks dead. I haven't had time to dig into it yet, but it looks like they may have lost their queen late last fall and their numbers dwindled down to too small a cluster to avoid freezing last week. The smaller colony looks like it's going great.

House cleaning day for the bees today. They are throwing out dead bees by the hundreds and even some brood that froze to death. I hope today is the light at the end of the 2020 tunnel. I guess I can live with a 5% casualty rate...if the rest survive for a few more weeks. Come on summer......

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is my first winter with bees. I ended up with 3 layens hives, one bought, one split, and one cut out. After 14 straight days of -30C to -40C nights we have had a 3 day warm up and today it was a very windy + 5C. At least one of my hives is alive and a few came out in the sun. I think the smaller cut out is dead and the other hive is a question mark as +5C is still quite cold for a cleansing flight and the high winds were not good.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,209 Posts
to the question about the Africanized bees

maybe making them more winter hardy so they can continue the trek north ....

GG

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
...or maybe to freeze them out and back them up a bit. :unsure:
:) hmm could be
but nature is a funny thing.
Ok so if 75% of them freeze out the 25% left are "cold tolerant" now they swarm and retake the empty hive spaces from the 75% and they may be ready for a new push.

or Not,, this is a 1 off, several years of this would be a better predictor.
And in My opinion a week of cold is not a bee slaying vector.

food for thought at any rate.

GG

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Had 3 hives break cluster yesterday and 2 the day before Ahh the smell of bee poop in the spring.
Also herd some birds chirpin not here all winter, we maybe on the cusp of spring here. Give them a week then start hauling in the dead outs and getting the traps ready with the darkest comb. And feed the light ones.

GG

·
Registered
344 Posts
We hit 55 F today and all of the girls were flyn'. Looks like all of the hives have made it but I don't think the Fat Lady has sung yet. I'd feel better in three weeks or so when the temps might justify putting the top feeders on and maybe start hitting OAV. Gotta lot of work to get done in the next month.

·
Registered
60 Posts
72 degrees yesterday in SC. Manipulated the hives here at the house. Reversed brood boxes, Pulled a few frames and replaced with foundationless frames consolidated brood and moved queens to the bottom box. Checker boarded a medium super on each of them. still had 2-3 frames of honey . Bees look good. Small amount of brood in each. Saw eggs as well.

Got into my overwintered nuc and started manipulating it in the same manner. 5x5x5 medium nuc. Checker boarded the 5 frame medium. Got to top 5 frame brood box found capped brood both drone and worker 2nd frame in. Found UNMARKED queen on middle frame so thought that they superseded my OHB blue marked queen. Pulled the frame she was on and put in a box for safe keeping. Got to the frame on the outside and LOW AND BEHOLD, The Blue dot queen fat and happy????? Ended up pulling a second frame of brood a couple of honey and pollen frames and put the unmarked queen in another nuc with a couple of shakes of bees. Both queens look healthy and fat.

So I split the NUC I think a couple of weeks early.
FIRST, How are 2 queens in the same Nuc? There is no old queen cells or even queen cups in this nuc?
SECOND, What are the chances of the unmarked queen nuc surviving? I think if I keep an eye on them they will be OK.

. VSH queen 7 2020.jpg 2nd queen.jpg

Looks like mature queen to me. Your thoughts.... Thanks for any advice, opinions and comments/suggestions.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
72 degrees yesterday in SC. Manipulated the hives here at the house. Reversed brood boxes, Pulled a few frames and replaced with foundationless frames consolidated brood and moved queens to the bottom box. Checker boarded a medium super on each of them. still had 2-3 frames of honey . Bees look good. Small amount of brood in each. Saw eggs as well.

Got into my overwintered nuc and started manipulating it in the same manner. 5x5x5 medium nuc. Checker boarded the 5 frame medium. Got to top 5 frame brood box found capped brood both drone and worker 2nd frame in. Found UNMARKED queen on middle frame so thought that they superseded my OHB blue marked queen. Pulled the frame she was on and put in a box for safe keeping. Got to the frame on the outside and LOW AND BEHOLD, The Blue dot queen fat and happy????? Ended up pulling a second frame of brood a couple of honey and pollen frames and put the unmarked queen in another nuc with a couple of shakes of bees. Both queens look healthy and fat.

So I split the NUC I think a couple of weeks early.
FIRST, How are 2 queens in the same Nuc? There is no old queen cells or even queen cups in this nuc?
SECOND, What are the chances of the unmarked queen nuc surviving? I think if I keep an eye on them they will be OK.

. View attachment 62244 View attachment 62245

Looks like mature queen to me. Your thoughts.... Thanks for any advice, opinions and comments/suggestions.
superceded last fall.
watch the old queen she may or may not be laying, if you "like" her you may get more QCs

GG

·
Registered
60 Posts
superceded last fall.
watch the old queen she may or may not be laying, if you "like" her you may get more QCs

GG
GG so you are saying that the Blue dot queen, introduced 7/2020 was superseded in the fall and stayed in the nuc throughout the winter?
I will keep an eye on her and check back in a few days to look for eggs. Thanks...

·
Premium Member
2,440 Posts
Do you think the unmarked queen is mated? She looks like a virgin....

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
GG so you are saying that the Blue dot queen, introduced 7/2020 was superseded in the fall and stayed in the nuc throughout the winter?
I will keep an eye on her and check back in a few days to look for eggs. Thanks...
yes exactually.....

so if they did not like her, and superceded,, they "May" try again.
IF both splits have eggs in a week or so you are good to go, But the new Queen may be unmated, and the old Queen may be failing, no guarantees on either, they both may be fine as well.
But keep an eye on the old one to monitor supercedure, and make sure the new one has worker brood.

Read an article from a keeper who noticed a nice large supercedure cell, he took it and formed a NUC as it was from a hive he liked. The bees then supercede attempted again, Fast forward by fall he had 6 queens from this one before she finally failed. This could be an interesting one to watch and get a queen or 2 if you need them.

GG

·
Registered
6a 4th yr 7 colonies inc. resource hive
558 Posts
In the final stretch- So far so good. We're in the tricky starvation bracket before blooms. Playbook continues to be twice weekly slurry check, dry pollen and spritz water sponge. I had fantastic stock to start my sustainable apiary so as long as I can keep the line going I should be good. I'd like to add to the genetic pool at some point but favor their own supercedure decisions. Right now I'm dealing with very early fungus ghats in my seedlings. Spritzed mix of hydrogen peroxide and water this am, drying out between waterings and brewing chamomile tea as a diluted drench in the coming days. Having great success with soil blocking so far.

My earliest bee mentor used chamomile tea bags in his sugar syrup and called it bee tea. I'm reading that it's a natural fungicide. Wondering if the fungicide property helps the bee digestive tract.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I plan on doing an OAV treatment today. I finished my post deep freeze inspections yesterday. Generally by this time of the year there are quite a few full frames of brood.
Saturday, from the outside I could see many dead bees and pupae on the bottom boards that were being dragged out. By Tuesday they had completed the clean-up and the temperature was supposed to climb into the 70's so I decided to have a much needed look inside. There were only small patches of capped brood in most of the hives, but some larger patches in a couple. I also found some cells being uncapped that looked to be almost ready to emerge. It looks as though they got caught with too much brood to cover successfully. There were many eggs, but precious few larvae of any stages.
The good news is that they are all alive with plenty of stores, yet much smaller clusters and amounts of brood that I expect for this time of year. One of the 5 Frame nucs is very weak. I suspect I will be combining some colonies soon.
This will likely slow their swarm preps.
I may do two rounds of OAV just to make the most of the situation.

Alex

Alex

·
Registered
60 Posts
Do you think the unmarked queen is mated? She looks like a virgin....
That is what I thought initially, but I saw zero signs of any hatched old queen cells or queen cups on 15 frames. Additionally, now that I have studied the pics I am thinking the unmarked one is plump and rolling along. To be sure I agree with GG and will check back in a week to see if there are eggs in both nucs. I think it is a good problem to have, hopefully...

3061 - 3080 of 3090 Posts