Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

3021 - 3027 of 3027 Posts

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
1,987 Posts
The image is fairly consistent across the whole hive.
A "Live" one has a hot center, , fading to lighter at the edges.

Also try to image at dust or dawn, when there is less likely sun effect.

there is "tuning" on the Flir as well

GG

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
That is interesting, Deb. Is the middle box a different color or having a different surface finish than the other two?
Hi Russ, yes, I thought it was mice. Top and bottom boxes are lighter pink, middle box is darker dusty purple. There was a small discussion on Bee-l regarding box color and retpaining heat, the consensus being it didn’t matter much. The image was taken on a cloudy day, and when I looked yesterday it was again cloudy, same image appeared.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Thanks for clarifying. I had erroneously assumed the colors you were referring to were the color rendering coming from your thermal camera.
OK Russ; what strikes me is I havent noticed this before. Sometimes when a cluster is smaller near the back of the box it “glows” muted somewhat, instead of the bright center you see in a bigger cluster. This looked like it had littler brighter spots spread out. My opinion. 🙂

·
Registered
6a 4th yr 7 colonies inc. resource hive
520 Posts
Refreshed sugar slurry in all 7 and dodged the flying bees at 50 degrees. Since its sunny and warm I spritzed the front of their bee cozy and awning to give them more water to forage. All look healthy. Starting seeds indoors. First is lisianthus, lavender, echinacea and columbine. Beautiful day here in the mountains.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I checked the hive that I brought inside, and it is not doing well. It is way down in size, and had wax moths so I moved it to a smaller box with mostly new frames. At this point I am not sure they are going to make it thru the winter, but I was sort of looking at it as a learning experience when i started it. The moths got a blow torch test.

I treated my hives outside with OAV. I scraped out space for the OAV wand and some small seeds came out with the dead bees in 2 of the hives. I am not sure if the bees brought in some seeds for some reason, if the wind blew them in, or if a mouse tried getting in there at some point. I did not see any big chunks of of wax, mouse poop, or other signs of mice actually living in the hives, so I think they are ok until spring.

3021 - 3027 of 3027 Posts