2901 - 2920 of 2955 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
The final figures ( minus giveaways and the honey we keep for ourselves) are:

227 cut comb
79 pints
32 quarts

Not great, but considering the rough spring the bees endured. Frost killed the maple bloom, snowstorm killed the fruit bloom, the hives were saved from starvation by a good dandelion bloom.

But the honey flavor is spectacular.

·
Registered
645 Posts
To make a not for profit, it's an entire registration process, and you have to fill out tax forms, etc etc.

Looks like you need to apply for tax exemptions, through the IRS.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Robert;
I've set up non-profits in the past for our town's little league and I had two good lawyers working for free. It's not easy, it's not fun and if you screw up, the IRS will own you. No matter how small or well rooted the non-profit, they suspect fraud in all of them and the penalties are big$$$$. Talk to a lawyer, usually a half hour to explain is free.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Feeding squares with hardware cloth inserted over inner cover today to create attic space as part of quilt box. Gave them a snack of winter pattie & sugar slurry and water soaked sponge. Also ordered their lemongrass fondant. Let the fussing begin. Note to pros- I do realize how silly this sounds....
Thanks for an idea. I am going to build some screen boards with a dropped edge to put on top of my modified Mann Lake feeders. I have the unique problem caused by sliding my insulating sleeves on which can knock my covers around a bit allowing robbers to sneak up the air gap an to the syrup - especially yellow jackets. 8-mesh with formed edging should do the trick.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
one of my hives decided to do something special during the cold snap. They seemed to have part of the cluster coming out of the entrance reducer on the bottom of the hive during a cold spell. They lost a lot of bees (few hundred) doing this, but they still seem to be doing fine.

The ones in the entrance were still moving around when i took the picture. Some of the dead ones are also drones that got kicked out

·
Registered
6a 3rd yr 5 production hives 1/ 2 q resource hive
469 Posts
Put a slice of lemongrass fondant inside the feeder shim. Also spritzed water on the sponges to give them extra water. All 7 are well and thriving in their bee spas.

Rented a dump trailer at our local rental place and dumped a load of 1/4 minus gravel on the driveway. The tractor guy will be here Friday to harrow the corral, make burms and fill in low spots in the driveway. Weather is changing.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
one of my hives decided to do something special during the cold snap. They seemed to have part of the cluster coming out of the entrance reducer on the bottom of the hive during a cold spell. They lost a lot of bees (few hundred) doing this, but they still seem to be doing fine.

The ones in the entrance were still moving around when i took the picture. Some of the dead ones are also drones that got kicked out View attachment 61172
Put a slice of lemongrass fondant inside the feeder shim. Also spritzed water on the sponges to give them extra water. All 7 are well and thriving in their bee spas.

Rented a dump trailer at our local rental place and dumped a load of 1/4 minus gravel on the driveway. The tractor guy will be here Friday to harrow the corral, make burms and fill in low spots in the driveway. Weather is changing.
elmer_fud - Noticed the TYVEK - do the bees propolize it?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
elmer_fud - Noticed the TYVEK - do the bees propolize it?
They still fill the gaps between the boxes with propolis. I put they tyvex tape there because I painted the ends of the boxes one year and there were sticking together badly so this made them easier to get apart. The tyvex is also easier to scrape clean until it comes off.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
They still fill the gaps between the boxes with propolis. I put they tyvex tape there because I painted the ends of the boxes one year and there were sticking together badly so this made them easier to get apart. The tyvex is also easier to scrape clean until it comes off.
AaaH! I thought you were using it as a inner cover - good idea.

·
Registered
346 Posts

The ones in the entrance were still moving around when i took the picture. Some of the dead ones are also drones that got kicked out View attachment 61172
What's the air fitting/hose for?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Did my last treatment of OA yesterday. Thankfully I got it in yesterday in between the rain. Today would have been a definite no-go. I'm not complaining though, we desperately need the rain (my well does, at least). I might do one more in a month or two.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Did my last treatment of OA yesterday. Thankfully I got it in yesterday in between the rain. Today would have been a definite no-go. I'm not complaining though, we desperately need the rain (my well does, at least). I might do one more in a month or two.
How do you know you are done - last treatment?

·
Registered
346 Posts
How do you know you are done - last treatment?
Because I said I'm done. I treated with formic in May, did 5 rounds of OA from mid-August to early September, and did 5 more rounds of OA this month. I'm done except for maybe one mid-winter round. If that isn't an effective treatment, then so be it, but I'm mostly done treating until next year.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
What's the air fitting/hose for?
They spray for mesquitos in the evenings most weeks during the summer. I have a fish air pump in my basement in "clean" air and push a bit of clean air into the hive during the summer to keep the mesquito fog chemicals out. I do not have any data to say if it does anything or not, but it is the same theory as what they do with clean rooms.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
They spray for mesquitos in the evenings most weeks during the summer. I have a fish air pump in my basement in "clean" air and push a bit of clean air into the hive during the summer to keep the mesquito fog chemicals out. I do not have any data to say if it does anything or not, but it is the same theory as what they do with clean rooms.
Interesting idea and clever. Around here when the do spray for mosquitos which is rare, we are given a schedule by location - most people cover their hives. My zone has not been sprayed in years. They go after certain swamps which are monitored.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Now this is more like it for Southern New England - 2 days of rain and now a snow squall. Unfortunately it broke my schedule for OAV'ing. Dead Drop Counts were going low, 25-50 per hive after 5 days, and dropping rapidly. Varroa will get hammered again That makes 4-5 inches this month after a 3 month drought. The forest and my Blueberry bushes will be happy - Strawberry patch too.

·
Registered
6a 3rd yr 5 production hives 1/ 2 q resource hive
469 Posts
The forest and my Blueberry bushes will be happy - Strawberry patch too.
Speaking of- just left the tractor guy to put in a couple of hours at work. He's putting some berms in. Wildflower seed goes on top. Hundreds more bulbs go in early next week. Already lifted dahlias, divided and wrapped with cling wrap to store. May try to score some allium bulbs to sneak in the ground this weekend. Bees freak out over allium. Last big push until.............the big chill.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I treated for mites today with the Johno's Pro-Vap. I do like that tool. When I went back to open the entrances I noticed they were bringing in a lot of pollen.

056.jpg

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Mine were making snowballs! At elast the drought is over. Did you photoshop this pic - nice clarity and depth of field.
Thanks, It was taken with my Galaxy A10e, a relatively inexpensive phone. No photoshop, either.
I'm glad to hear your drought is over.

Alex

2901 - 2920 of 2955 Posts