Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

2881 - 2900 of 2960 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
We did 6 dozen 4 oz. Muth jars with some of our summer honey or rather my wife did. She used a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup and a rubber spatula using a ladle to fill the measuring cup, my daughter did the corking and shrink wrapping with the plan of giving them to her friends. Didn't spill a drop and they were done in an hour. If I had done it, there'd be honey everywhere, on the outside of the jar, on the table, on the kitchen floor, on the dog, on the front porch, on the neighbor's dog....

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
elmer_fud "I think it is a combination of glucose/fructose ratio and the water content."

I think you are quite right about water content also - it is a super saturated solution, sugar in water. What I wonder is the where the water goes after crystalization or creaming. It does not split out but seems to be filling voids between crystals.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
We did 6 dozen 4 oz. Muth jars with some of our summer honey or rather my wife did. She used a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup and a rubber spatula using a ladle to fill the measuring cup, my daughter did the corking and shrink wrapping with the plan of giving them to her friends. Didn't spill a drop and they were done in an hour. If I had done it, there'd be honey everywhere, on the outside of the jar, on the table, on the kitchen floor, on the dog, on the front porch, on the neighbor's dog....
That certainly paints quite a mental picture!:D I used to put on those kind of performances too, but my wife is onto that trick and it doesn't work anymore; just dryly comments that "You've made quite a mess for yourself to clean up".:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
JWPalmer "I learned early on that trying to get nucs started once our dearth starts here around mid June is an exercise in futility."

Very curious comment. I unknowingly started two nucs in the first month of a drought / dearth in July. One has done extremely well buildling up as I realized the dearth issue and started feeding heavily. The second nuc started well, paused and resume laying worker brood but refuses to take 2:1 syrup and remains smallish. There is no real forage available and even the big hives are barely finding pollen. Hopefully we will get some Asters and such before a real freeze; first frost last night. I also put in some UltraBee to help out - ignored it. It seems really strange and contradictory - brood but no foraging, staying small. I am going to install a thermocouple to measure cluster temperatures.

Any clues from your experiences? They are guarding the entrance and have syrup on a few frames.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,800 Posts
How are you filling them?
Deb, I filled a quart jar and then put in a hot water bath to warm it up. Poured straight from the quart jar into the minis. Only had a few drips which I got up with a wet towel. Probably should have finished my coffee first. I ordered 100 of the 3" individually wrapped honey dippers from Amazon this morning also. I was thinking about $3.50 each for the labeled jar of honey and dipper. I saw some sets on Amazon for less but question the quality of the honey itself.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
:) you and my husband must be related somehow....

·
Registered
231 Posts
Wow, new format here, let's see how long it takes me to screw this up.

Anyway, I'm in the middle of an OAV 21 day treatment as part of my winter prep and now that the fall flow is just about done, decided to put the top feeders (ML type 4.5 gallon) back on. Put about a gallon and a half, split between each side, on both hives after the last treatment and in prep for another treatment, I open the cover. It appears the one hive has sucked up everything and the screen section is full of bees, buzzing happily. The other hive hasn't touched it, the screen is void of any bees (except a dead bumble bee who snoke in). Other than the second hive wasn't hungry, is there a reason for this? Both hives, despite it cooling down into the 60's F day, low 40's F nights, are still out flying at dawn foraging and bring back a heck of a lot of yellow-brown pollen. I'm figuring by this afternoon, the first hive will have killed the syrup and hopefully I can get the OAV done (4 days). I'm using a top hot box for treatment so I have to remove the feeders before and replace after. Should I keep feeding or wait for the OAV to be done (11 more days)

·
Registered
6a 3rd yr 5 production hives 1/ 2 q resource hive
472 Posts
Feeding squares with hardware cloth inserted over inner cover today to create attic space as part of quilt box. Gave them a snack of winter pattie & sugar slurry and water soaked sponge. Also ordered their lemongrass fondant. Let the fussing begin. Note to pros- I do realize how silly this sounds....

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
Feeding squares with hardware cloth inserted over inner cover today to create attic space as part of quilt box. Gave them a snack of winter pattie & sugar slurry and water soaked sponge. Also ordered their lemongrass fondant. Let the fussing begin. Note to pros- I do realize how silly this sounds....
Lemongrass fondant? LA, does sound like your running a bee spa! But I'll bite, never heard of it, got a link?

·
Registered
472 Posts

Ordered from Ebay last year. They loved it. A bee spa would be accurate. Just checked the kids this am and they are happily munching on the buffet. Being able to look in on them solves my bee boredom in the winter.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts

Ordered from Ebay last year. They loved it. A bee spa would be accurate. Just checked the kids this am and they are happily munching on the buffet. Being able to look in on them solves my bee boredom in the winter.
You don’t use an upper entrance with this? Deb

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Yes I use an upper entrance.
Ok ... do the bees chimney up to the top? I think this year I am not using a sugar shim; I will put the empty shim on for feeding PP end of Feb. or emergency situation. I’m not sure if that is a good idea or not.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I just took out my feeder spacer from under my vivaldi board. Will feed within the vivaldi board setup. Here is a picture. They usually hang out in the center and within the square because its the warmest place. D365E37E-6EEB-443D-B9BD-B2B36D9BAA24.jpeg I cover with burlap to wick moisture.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Question about honey viscosity: I have been bottling honey in sequence to extraction dates; Spring honey first. I have observed that Spring honey ( trees?) is more viscous than summer honey. The % free water in honey is similar with Spring honey being the lowest water content, below 17%. THis year I have zero Fall honey due to the drought. I judge the viscosity by the way the honey piles up when filling the jars. I thought my late summer honey had a % water issue but the calibrated refractometer disagreed with me - below 18% in all cases. I'll try to research this later. Do others notice this effect?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Bee Cozies and mouseguards on 3, 3 more to go including the resource hive. Temps are dropping to single digits this weekend. Some say snow. Colonies are eating at the snack bar within the vivaldi board installed a few days ago. Such pigs. Burlap is doing it's work absorbing moisture over the cluster and venting out. Fire in the woodstove.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
10 cord in the shed, 80 lb. to put them to bed but now for another lesson in beekeeping. I have been forced to learn honey managment from the hive to the bottle. The school of hard-knocks it not always fun especially when you have more honey then desired.

So I am learning that very fine particles or pollen pass through a 400 mesh gravity filter. After sitting for a long time in 5 gallon buckets I discovered a film on the top of the honey. Of course I learned this after pouring into a bucket with a valve and thus mixing it all in together again and then bottled it. Somewhat cloudy honey bottles! I also learned I can lift it out of the honey buckets with Saran warp.

Is this beeswax particles or pollen or both?

·
Registered
645 Posts
The new format is terrible. It's not enjoyable to see a big advertisement next to the screen flashing when I'm attempting to read something on this website.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,800 Posts
Robert, I am pretty certain it is pollen. The wax makes it to the surface fairly quickly.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Robert, I am pretty certain it is pollen. The wax makes it to the surface fairly quickly.
THanks - logical but now the quandary; Some people like cloudy, say pollen, honey, and some go WOW! how nice and clear. Some like it dark some like it light.

BTW, I am thinking of creating a non-proift corporation for my small apiary. Maybe add in neighboring beekeepers. After cost, I donate all proceeds to any charity that the bees would like, local and national. Know anyway to become a non-profit easily ( besides paying a lawyer). Once established it looks easy to maintain.

2881 - 2900 of 2960 Posts