Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

2861 - 2880 of 2960 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I am assuming it is a screened bottom board? If so, I once had a screened bottom board that had a spot where the screen was not affixed tightly to the surrounding rim, and this resulted in dozens of bees making their way into the tray and unable to find their way back out (akin to a trap-out cone). Possibly you might have a similar situation with your bottom board?
I never thought of that; I might do one more inspection and check it out.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
username001001 - "Yeesh... 12 inches behind?" I just dug out a bunch of blueberry bushes and transplanted. U had ot soak the plants ahead of time to keep some dirt on the roots. It has been a long time for real rain.

"can you see the rain..." it is finally raining today - real rainfall - puddles. I can smile again. Unfortunately too late for any kind of Fall flow. Maybe my pasture will produce some quick flowers like clover.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,800 Posts
Robert, I am glad you guys up there finally got some rain. Sun came out briefly today after non stop drizzle and rain here since last Thursday. My work hive was out doing orientation flights and it was beautiful to see.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I am assuming it is a screened bottom board? If so, I once had a screened bottom board that had a spot where the screen was not affixed tightly to the surrounding rim, and this resulted in dozens of bees making their way into the tray and unable to find their way back out (akin to a trap-out cone). Possibly you might have a similar situation with your bottom board?
I checked the BB today, the screen is intact. Also found more dead bees on it again. :scratch: It seems tight, so they might be squeezing in where there is a slight gap and can’t get out again? I’ll be darned if I know.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Treated with OAV today, and one hive seems to have a crap ton of drones attempting to get back in. I'm hoping it hasn't gone drone-laying. I guess I'll find out in the spring????

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I checked the BB today, the screen is intact. Also found more dead bees on it again. :scratch: It seems tight, so they might be squeezing in where there is a slight gap and can’t get out again? I’ll be darned if I know.
Well it certainly might be something else- I know in my case I was not able to find the point of access until I swapped bottom boards and brought the faulty unit into the garage for careful inspection.

I now keep staples on-hand for use in applying additional securement of the screen to the rim as a part of my bottom board preparations.

Another possibility is that there is an opening of 'bee size' somewhere along the perimeter of where the tray meets the rim of the bottom board?

Or a hole in the screen somewhere?

While it is hard to know for sure, the fact that your queen was down there would suggest to me that the bees are gaining access to the tray from inside the hive.

Do you have a spare bottom board that you can deploy temporarily while you bring the culprit board into the shop for a good once-over?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
The queen that was down there on the board was not from that hive, it was from the nuc I made up from a weak hive. The queen in that hive with the dead bees is a nice big dark one. When I checked the screen BB it was heavily propolised around the edges, didn’t find any holes in the screen. I will check the perimeter again. I would have switched BB but I used the extra solids and only had another screened one without a drawer, and of course, the drawer on the hive didn’t fit the replacement BB :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I started bottling this year's honey. I learned a bit by observation about the benefits of allowing the honey to sit and clarify. This second extraction batch is a Spring early summer honey that has been sitting since the end of June. I look forward to bottling my first extract of mostly Spring honey. I was amazed at how clear and sparkling the honey appeared when held up to sunlight. It also had a percent water content below 17%. (I will calibrate the refractometer tomorrow.)

Taking fully or nearly fully capped frames resulted in a net extraction of 79 bottles or a net of 79 lb. plus for 20 medium frames - 4 lb. per frame average. Many frames came from 9 -frame spacing per medium super arrangement.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Today I found that the banana alarm pheromone appears to have a smaller particle size then smoke today. I put on a n95 mask working hives today because it seems to block most of the smoke, but I could still smell the banana smell well with one hive.

·
Super Moderator
5,800 Posts
I started bottling this year's honey that has been sitting since the end of June. I was amazed at how clear and sparkling the honey appeared when held up to sunlight.
Robert, last week I started bottling some of my June honey for wedding favors for the next door neighbor. Like you I was amazed at how clear the honey was. Usually I get particles (pollen) that adhere to the sides of the jars. Not this time around. Made for perfect favors in the little jars I put it in.

·
Registered
6a 3rd yr 5 production hives 1/ 2 q resource hive
472 Posts
Focused on end of season garden clearing, wildflower direct sowing & waiting to wrap. Seeing toasty brown bits on the inspection board so they still have winter bees hatching. Bulbs include- winter aconite, reticulated iris, trout lily, wood hyacinth, narcissi, tulips, parrot tulips. Tulips will be inside raised beds on top of landscape fabric and will be netted in spring. Direct sowing wildflowers like larkspur, lupine, poppies, oxeye daisy, etc. on prepared soil then walking all over it to get essential seed to soil contact.

I was super conservative with my beekeeping this year. Very little hive creep. Only added 2 hives and took a small harvest because of little rain. Ending with 7. 5 production and a resource hive (with 2). Love that number.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sounds like heaven LA! I'm doing the same, cleaning up, getting things winterized or put away. We went down to the low 30's last night but didn't get to frost and even with that, the girls were flying at sunrise. Looks like they're bring in pollen this morning, buckets of it. I'm finishing up OAV over the next week and a half, threw some top feeders on between treatments. Looks like one hive is hitting the syrup but the other doesn't seem to have any interest. I have the ML 4.5 gallon type, split around a gallon plus or so between each side on both hives. I am still seeing bees doing what I think are orientation flights later in the day and when I pulled the supers last week, the Queen is still laying, eggs and capped brood. This week it looks like high's just over 70 and lows in the 50's-the east coast got a cold front this weekend but will recover for a week or so. I'm still seeing aster and goldenrod just won't stop. I'm praying that they're strong enough for winter.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
JWPalmer " amazed at how clear " A little patience with gravity never sleeping a lesson once again about beekeeping. What is also amazing is how I collected so much honey in the Spring with a drought all summer. It showed up as very little Fall foraging and buying lots of sugar. I started developing two nucs in the middle of the drought - another learning event.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
elmer_fud "Mine would be solid after sitting for 4 months,"

I think it is a high glucose to fructose ratio that causes the result. I am trying to learn about creamed honey. One question I have is "do all honeys totally solidify with time, suitable for making creamed honey?". Do I need specific ratio range? I help a guy on an island with his bees, not very far away. His honey solidifies top to bottom - quickly.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Lalldredge "very little hive creep" I have some creeping going on. Nine colonies may become 11 with the two maintenance nucs I am developing for winter. The real growth has been hive strength - nine strong hives going into winter requiring a lot for feeding as a result of the drought. The crazy problem is this year I had more, bigger, stronger foragin hives; 7 of 9 were good to big producers. Harvested more honey then I care to manage in spite of the drought. I am looking at giving two hives away next year for a donation.

I run a small farm stand with free veggies and I accept "donations" for the honey. The neighbors, who use to get it free, donate often, often buying cases (business and CHristmas gifts, etc.) I am covering expenses and donating all the net proceeds to any environmental charity I think the bee will aprove. Plus some funds for my home, bee research project. I am looking at starting a non-profit corporation to get my grandkids involved as board members.

Meanwhile, the first frost showed up last night, transplanting stuff now and putting the veggie garden to bed, got a big strawberry bed ready for coming spring - strawberry jam is yummmmy! And of course bottling honey daily now. I suggest insulating ASAP, mine has been on all year.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
elmer_fud "Mine would be solid after sitting for 4 months,"

I think it is a high glucose to fructose ratio that causes the result. I am trying to learn about creamed honey. One question I have is "do all honeys totally solidify with time, suitable for making creamed honey?". Do I need specific ratio range? I help a guy on an island with his bees, not very far away. His honey solidifies top to bottom - quickly.
I think it is a combination of glucose/fructose ratio and the water content. I suspect the lower water content (I have seen 15%) causes the honey to crystallize quicker.

In general the difference between creamed honey and honey that solidifies on its own is creamed honey has a much smaller particle size. With lots of small seed crystals the cream honey gets smaller crystals and is smoother. I think all honey can be made into creamed honey, but I dont know this for a fact. When I made creamed honey last year I started with store bought creamed honey and used that for 5-10% of the mix.

·
Super Moderator
5,800 Posts
I started developing two nucs in the middle of the drought - another learning event.
I learned early on that trying to get nucs started once our dearth starts here around mid June is an exercise in futility. But, I can start in late March/early April and have them in 10 frame boxes in May with no problem. Around August 1st I can start making fall nucs to overwinter.

Put up another 48 of the mini-mason jars (2oz.) this morning before heading off to some of my side jobs. Hoping to sell around a 100 or so as stocking stuffers.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I learned early on that trying to get nucs started once our dearth starts here around mid June is an exercise in futility. But, I can start in late March/early April and have them in 10 frame boxes in May with no problem. Around August 1st I can start making fall nucs to overwinter.

Put up another 48 of the mini-mason jars (2oz.) this morning before heading off to some of my side jobs. Hoping to sell around a 100 or so as stocking stuffers.
How are you filling them? I used a squeeze ketchup/mustard jar. And I tied a wrapped small honey dipper on them (this was for my daughters wedding) and I also sold the extras for $3.00.

2861 - 2880 of 2960 Posts