Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

2841 - 2860 of 2955 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,785 Posts
My wife.came home from a business trip about 25 years ago to find several newly aquired chickens in the downstairs bathtub. She freaked out. I did not see the problem.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
My house is in need of a full remodel. But that takes a back seat to pets and bees. Just today I put in an order for 2500 live meal worms for the chickens during their molt. And couldn't be more satisfied with my choices.
I didn't think about meal worms. My hen who was nearly naked and the one laying shell-less eggs are in the giant dog crate in the old bird pen on the lot, growing their feathers back on pure layena. (scratch is apparently tastier and calcium isn't, lol)

I am self remodeling my house while taking care of bees, chickens, 4 dogs, 2 cats, lol Bees are the easy part

·
Registered
6a 3rd yr 5 production hives 1/ 2 q resource hive
467 Posts
@JW Palmer - so hilarious. @Robert- loved the story about Chickie.

@Gypsi- I get my live meal worms from a supplier off of eBay (pnwmealworms) Layena is great. Our local chicken experts suggests additional protein. You just have to get over the undulating mass of worms housed in tupperware laying dormant in the refrigerator between feedings.

·
Super Moderator
5,785 Posts
I just keep a small container (50) of meal worms in the fridge to feed my plants ;)
I gave a bunch of wax worms to a coworker to feed to her venus flytrap, which she named Morticia.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I gave a bunch of wax worms to a coworker to feed to her venus flytrap, which she named Morticia.
I have not tried wax worms. My flytraps and pitcher plants eat meal worms during the winter when I can not catch bugs in the sun porch. I dont have any creative names for mine though.

The fly traps close very quick (less than a second) and you can easily see them close. The bugs just fall into the pitcher plants and get stuck in a sticky substance so there is not much to see.

This is my collection (picture was this spring) carnivirous plants may 2020.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,785 Posts
Nice sized monsters on the flytrap. I think I need to get one for myself. Stinging insects, carnivorous plants, what's not to love?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I have not tried wax worms. My flytraps and pitcher plants eat meal worms during the winter when I can not catch bugs in the sun porch. I dont have any creative names for mine though.

The fly traps close very quick (less than a second) and you can easily see them close. The bugs just fall into the pitcher plants and get stuck in a sticky substance so there is not much to see.

This is my collection (picture was this spring) View attachment 58707
:eek:

·
Registered
22 Posts
wow. the posts lately have been very interesting to say the least.

Are any of you all experiencing the phenomenal goldenrod flow that we are here in lancaster county, SC? I just added a 5 frame foundationless super to one of my nucs that is going gangbusters. Tomorrow I am going to add a shallow super to one of my full hives to see if they can do something with it in the next week or so.
Does anyone think that it i might be detrimental to do so this late into October? Thanks

·
Registered
225 Posts
wow. the posts lately have been very interesting to say the least.

Are any of you all experiencing the phenomenal goldenrod flow that we are here in lancaster county, SC? I just added a 5 frame foundationless super to one of my nucs that is going gangbusters. Tomorrow I am going to add a shallow super to one of my full hives to see if they can do something with it in the next week or so.
Does anyone think that it i might be detrimental to do so this late into October? Thanks
I'm north of you in west-central Jersey and the goldenrod here just isn't stopping. It was a sunny 77 yesterday and today is overcast, forecast high of 73 F. We're just seeing the leading edge of the ruminates of Delta coming up and rain later tonight and tomorrow. My girls are flying like it's May, lots of yellow (goldenrod) and white (aster) coming in. I walked the dog in the field a few hundred yards away from my hives and looked at the goldenrod, early stuff is passing away but there still much more blooming and more budding up. I harvested 5 frames Wednesday (it was 80 degrees), removed the QE's and left one super that were about 40% capped on each of my two hives after an OAV treatment. Yesterday, I removed those supers, to do a second OAV and they were both had noticeable increased capping. I added a second super (waiting a couple hours) of wet comb to each, UNDER the first super for clean up. Kind of curious if they'll start filling those combs. I'm told by a local gardener that the goldenrod/aster could live through November here. First frost, not necessarily a killing frost, is usually mid November here. I'd kind of like it to end so I can wrap the hives and finish for the year but...

I was finishing building quilt boxes yesterday and left the basement bulkhead door open where I had the two nuc boxes from my bee purchase last spring. The inner door at the base was closed and when I went to try to get some screws down there I was confronted by what looked like hundreds of bees either trying to rob out the nuc's or late swarming. This was about 20 feet from my hives and it was very apparent that they were not my darker Italians and there was no traffic between the bulkhead stairs and the hives nor any robbing going on at my hives. Both are very strong and loaded with stores-the girls were still foraging during this event, coming and going in the opposite direction. I moved the nuc boxes to the far end of the yard and there we're still a few bees roaming around this morning. Bee will do what they want by why would these bees foraging like mine are?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I have a phenomenal goldenrod flow in North Texas. Hives smell appropriately like dirty gym socks.

I used to raise mealworms for my chickens but after I got bees the mealworms were being neglected so I gave them to a young farmer and I think he also failed. You can't keep them outdoors or they get infested with mites. My office rolling cart did not have tools or office supplies in it. I free range the birds and they get layena and scratch, they have to hunt their own worms, lol.

I've got to get some new bottom boards and spacers on the hives, get them ready for winter but with the goldenrod on and the bookkeeping going for taxes I keep postponing

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Yesterday a hive that had what I think is baldbrood into a 5/3 frame nuc; it was smaller, weaker hive because of this. At first I thought it was PMS, and found supersedure cell on 10/6. 6F2EAB8B-D9FB-4123-B3F4-F8D9B4C2A9F4.jpeg

I checked the ground to make sure I didn’t find the queen and did not see anything suspicious. So this morning I was checking mite drops and pulled out this tray and found this : 926F3AC7-83AE-4477-BCCC-22DBE56DDF79.jpeg

I put her on the landing board of the nuc near the s all entrance and they started taking care of her immediately, so it was their queen. I pushed her in more. Hopefully they can revive her, she was moving her tarsal claws.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Ranger N "phenomenal goldenrod flow" we have had no rain for months - zero Fall flow. I have given up on rain. We could not even catch a hurricane. Now I am hoping for snow.

Monday Oct 12 - It's spitting outside! We are still 10 to 12 inches behind barely a 1/4 inch since end of June. Maybe tromorrow we get some rain!?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
So this morning I was checking mite drops and pulled out this tray and found this : View attachment 58723

I put her on the landing board of the nuc near the s all entrance and they started taking care of her immediately, so it was their queen. I pushed her in more. Hopefully they can revive her, she was moving her tarsal claws.
Cloverdale:

This is interesting- what do you speculate led to the queen being down on the tray?

Having inadvertently dumped a queen on the ground recently, I do appreciate how harrowing it is to find your queen like this.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I remember someone recently had this happen but I couldn’t remember who. It was upsetting, I think I must have been sloppy in transitioning the hive from 10 frames to 5 frame. When doing this I looked but did not see her, I figured she was on a frame but I think she was on the side wall of one of the boxes when I tapped the bees into the nuc. The queen must have walked up to that drawer sensing a hive odor from the screened BB. The nuc has a tight tray. And I am assuming it was the nucs Queen because how the nuc immediately accepted her, grooming her on the landing board, at least I think that because there were eggs in there a few days ago. What I find interesting is I checked bottom boards again today and found dead bees on the same tray.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
What I find interesting is I checked bottom boards again today and found dead bees on the same tray.
I am assuming it is a screened bottom board? If so, I once had a screened bottom board that had a spot where the screen was not affixed tightly to the surrounding rim, and this resulted in dozens of bees making their way into the tray and unable to find their way back out (akin to a trap-out cone). Possibly you might have a similar situation with your bottom board?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Ranger N "phenomenal goldenrod flow" we have had no rain for months - zero Fall flow. I have given up on rain. We could not even catch a hurricane. Now I am hoping for snow.

Monday Oct 12 - It's spitting outside! We are still 10 to 12 inches behind barely a 1/4 inch since end of June. Maybe tromorrow we get some rain!?
Yeesh... 12 inches behind?

2841 - 2860 of 2955 Posts