Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well one hive had more bees and frames filled so I swaped hives around.While I was looking at the frames I think I saw 5 hive beatles and some of the was on the foundation moving around untilled I killed them.Is that a lot of beatles to see in 2 hives?I also noticed on the foundation they have drawn out and capped there are a few places where its capped further out like they did it for a reason,what is that for?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well one hive had more bees and frames filled so I swaped hives around.While I was looking at the frames I think I saw 5 hive beetles and some of the was on the foundation moving around untilled I killed them.Is that a lot of beetles to see in 2 hives?
That isn't that many....but a few breed and become many. And you live in the south where beetles are a scourge. You will have a few beetles regardless of what you do, but if you keep them under control you'll be ahead of the game.

I disagree with the view that you can/should only rely on strong hives to keep the beetle population under control. I think you should take measures to control the vermin beyond that. There are a few methods. The beetle baffle that has come out recently has gotten some rave reviews. I haven't tried it personally. I don't think the beetle blasters are all that good, but are better than nothing. What I use and like are the screened bottom boards with oil traps. There are a couple on the market. The one I use and like are the ones sold by Green Beehives out of Alabama. Another similar product is the Freeman trap sold by Heartwood out of Mississippi.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Well one hive had more bees and frames filled so I swaped hives around.While I was looking at the frames I think I saw 5 hive beatles and some of the was on the foundation moving around untilled I killed them.Is that a lot of beatles to see in 2 hives?I also noticed on the foundation they have drawn out and capped there are a few places where its capped further out like they did it for a reason,what is that for?
the beatles are fine just watch em. The tall cappings...drone brood is spherical like a bullet, they often cap honey at thickness's larger than worker brood, what people call the rainbow. No worries

·
Registered
887 Posts
Well one hive had more bees and frames filled so I swaped hives around.\?
What do you mean by swaped the hives around? Did you put one hive where the other hive was sitting? If you did that, when the field bees returned to a different hive than they came from, I would think you would have caused a lot of fighting!

·
Registered
623 Posts
What do you mean by swaped the hives around? Did you put one hive where the other hive was sitting? If you did that, when the field bees returned to a different hive than they came from, I would think you would have caused a lot of fighting!
:no:

·
Registered
242 Posts
As long as the bees from the "other" hive bring in pollen or nectar it shouldn't be a problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts