Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well one hive had more bees and frames filled so I swaped hives around.While I was looking at the frames I think I saw 5 hive beatles and some of the was on the foundation moving around untilled I killed them.Is that a lot of beatles to see in 2 hives?I also noticed on the foundation they have drawn out and capped there are a few places where its capped further out like they did it for a reason,what is that for?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well one hive had more bees and frames filled so I swaped hives around.While I was looking at the frames I think I saw 5 hive beetles and some of the was on the foundation moving around untilled I killed them.Is that a lot of beetles to see in 2 hives?
That isn't that many....but a few breed and become many. And you live in the south where beetles are a scourge. You will have a few beetles regardless of what you do, but if you keep them under control you'll be ahead of the game.

I disagree with the view that you can/should only rely on strong hives to keep the beetle population under control. I think you should take measures to control the vermin beyond that. There are a few methods. The beetle baffle that has come out recently has gotten some rave reviews. I haven't tried it personally. I don't think the beetle blasters are all that good, but are better than nothing. What I use and like are the screened bottom boards with oil traps. There are a couple on the market. The one I use and like are the ones sold by Green Beehives out of Alabama. Another similar product is the Freeman trap sold by Heartwood out of Mississippi.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Well one hive had more bees and frames filled so I swaped hives around.While I was looking at the frames I think I saw 5 hive beatles and some of the was on the foundation moving around untilled I killed them.Is that a lot of beatles to see in 2 hives?I also noticed on the foundation they have drawn out and capped there are a few places where its capped further out like they did it for a reason,what is that for?
the beatles are fine just watch em. The tall cappings...drone brood is spherical like a bullet, they often cap honey at thickness's larger than worker brood, what people call the rainbow. No worries

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.