Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I would like to hear from people who use and don't use an uncapper. Many businesses running thousands of hives still manually uncap their frames. Why is this and what are pros and cons of either method. I am running a smaller operation. Also if you use the manual method, I would love to see pictures of your uncapping table/tank. I'm looking for something that will hold about 60 frames. Considering having one made but need ideas.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Stainless uncapping tanks are beautiful, but they are not absolutely necessary for a smaller operation. A tank is not needed. An uncapping rack will suffice. Something to hold the frames, allowing the honey to drip onto waxed paper supported by cardboard, on a bench angled to a bucket with a sieve on it.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I am currently building an uncapping machine, and it has taken me most of the winter. I do not want to ever have to uncap by hand again. Too much wasted time.

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I would like to hear from an operation that runs thousands of hives that still manually uncaps, not saying that there isn't someone out there, just would be surprised. I guess if you had close to a dozen people uncapping at once you could get quite a bit done quickly.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
More than 500.

With the occasional hive beetle brought up by migratory beekeepers(not us) ,and thus the necessitating to quickly uncapping, I can not imagine anyone wasting the time uncapping by hand. We(family) had the first Cowen east of the Mississippi, but due to "bad things":, lost it in 2008. The output without an uncappper is about 1/3 to 1/2 that of with an uncapper.

Crazy Roland

1 - 11 of 11 Posts