Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm running all mediums and am planning on 3 of them for a brood nest. One of my hives has drawn out all 10 frames of the 3rd box and has begun laying eggs in 3 1/2 of those.

The flow has slowed abruptly here so I'm wondering if I should even bother trying to put a honey super on. I mainly want to get the hive strong(it is a package installed on April 22nd) but if they have built up the 3 mediums I hope to maintain as a brood nest, then perhaps I can harvest a little honey after all. But if the flow has slowed, is there even a point? Also, I had a respected beek in the area suggest that they probably wouldn't bother drawing comb on my foundationless frames right now. He said I might try foundation but even then they might just chew it up and move it around.

I also don't want to use an excluder if possible. What do I do if the queen just keeps moving up?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
they may make some progress with the fall flow. the room would be appreciated on these hot days. do a search at the top of the page for "honey cap" and shift the frames to make one-that USUALY keeps'em down. you can always add an excluder later.
good luck,mike

·
Registered
254 Posts
I agree with Mike and would add the super so they have some room during the hottest part of summer. Before I would get excited about taking much honey from them this fall, I'd be more concerned about making sure they have enough to make it through winter. I feel it is safer to let every package keep what it makes the first year so it overwinters without me having to feed syrup all fall. I just think it's healthier for them.

Just a thought.

John

·
Registered
435 Posts
I caught a swarm about 2nd week in april that i took a super of honey today. So.... they might fool ya. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
hey ted
i live in sumrall MS, do you think the bee's will be able to fill supers this summer if they have the upper brood full of honey? we are having no rain down here for a while, i live about 80 miles from the coast and 80 miles from jackson. what do you think? this is the first year for me and the bees! got them going about the 2nd week in may.

·
Registered
232 Posts
soybean&cotton are gonna be in bloom shortly,so you will get a flow off of them if you are close to a field...you should be able to get a super of honey from that

·
Registered
170 Posts
yep
got some ssoy bean fields about 3-5 miles away, thanks baldwin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts