Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only been keeping bees for almost a year. I bought two already established hives early July 2013. I belong to two bees clubs and have attended two bee schools. I feel one of my hives is a swarm catch from late spring 2013. I fed all last year and both hives survived the winter well. I do not know the age of either queen but one hive is just hands down stronger than the other. The weaker one is what I call it, has a deep and medium for a brood chamber and there is maybe some showing of the buckshot pattern in the brood pattern that is a sign of an aging queen. I originally was thinking of splitting the strong hive that is busting at the seems of two deeps but I have also decided I am going to try my hand at comb honey production and purchased four ross round complete supers that are all ready to go on that hive. My question is I'm now thinking of splitting my weak hive into two nucs is that a good Idea? Last fall the weak had a terrible time with SHB and later on Verroa mites I treated with Apivar. So far this year no pest problems yet, but I was thinking the two Nuc approach would allow the workers to re-queen a nuc, while keeping the established queen in the other nuc the workers should be able to keep the SHB down. Then if everything goes well and the new queen returns from her mating flight I'll either dispatch the old queen allowing that nuc to re-queen itself or recombine with the new queen. Sorry for the long post this is my first. I've been a reader for while though.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Making nucs out of your dink is a good way to go. I would suggest moving the queen and a frame of brood and a frame of food into a nuc, leaving the hive as strong as possible. They will then make queen cells. Depending on the strength of the hive, you can then split it and give each half a frame with 1 or 2 queen cells. If one or both fail to yeild a laying queen, recombine the resources and maybe try again later.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts