Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had three hives in sept. and took my loses early by combining two of them. The combined hive died in January. Now I'm down to one strong hive and I have four packages on the way. I can either split the strong hive, leave it alone or use it to increase the strenght of the new packages by borrowing frames of brood periodically. I'm leaning toward the latter. If I do this, what is the protocal. How much can I take from the strong hive without doing too much damage. My feeling is, if I do this right, I'll have five strong hives instead of four weak ones and a strong one or six fairly weak hives. Suggestions?

·
Registered
770 Posts
IMO, start the new packages on SC foundation -- it's amazing how fast they can draw it out and build up on a nectar flow. For insurance, I would buy/make an extra queen and set up a small 2/3 frame nuc split off the strong hive -- use this as needed to reinforce any package hive not doing well. :cool:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I thing you need to install the packages, and give the each a frame of brood. That would REALLY boost their strength. Unless you are really wanting to grow a lot this year, then you could split.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I would leave the strong one alone to assure I get some honey this year. And then feed all the others until they are off and running.

Of course I say this becasue my 4 hives produced no honey for me last year due to the weather and so I really want some this year. If I had plenty of honey on hand I would probably answer diferently.

·
Registered
70 Posts
count zero are all of your hives in the same bee yard?if so I would try to equalize the hives as much as possible. I find it is hard to have knew package bee colonies next to full strenght colonies the robbing is to intence even during necture flows.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts