Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the past few times I've been going into the hive it seems that when I use smoke they tend to be more irritable and without as long as I don't bump around too much they are 10 time more tolerant does anyone notice the same thing

·
Registered
51 Posts
I do notice the same thing. I dont usually smoke them. It seems like everytime I do they seem to be more agitated and grumpy. And I find the same thing, if I'm slow and not clumsy they are way calmer. I don't usually even bring my smoker anymore.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I smoke my hands and arms and have the lit smoker handy for shooing the bees out of the way. Lately they have been fine withe me just brushing them aside with my hands. Most of it depends on what you are comfortable with. I know, that at some time, I will regret not wearing a veil.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used smoke for the first time yesterday and couldn't believe how quiet they were. I imagine I will have a smoker lit when I go in from this point forward, whether I smoke the hive or not.

Jodie

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
don't lose your smokers for you will need them this fall and maybe as soon as there is a dearth.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Little smoke often does more than lots of smoke. Some hives I don't smoke at all, some get a fair share. It really takes experimentation to find what works in what scenario...........and then there is bees of different genetics. You will need your smoker don.t throw it away. Some hives are fickle one day like a kitten the next a lioness

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
There is a rhythm to smoking, if you will. Springtime the hives are small and mild. Summer they are building up and way more active. Fall they are big and booming and TESTY. Whether to smoke/how much to smoke often depends on where you are in that cycle as much as anything. Hives that ignored you in April may chase you in September. Nothing personal. It's all just the dance across the seasons.

:D

Rusty

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have not used my smoker much and they have been fine until yesterday,Opened the first hive no problem,second hive was like a bomb.....
I have never seen so many mad bees in my life and all the rest of the hives were super hot too yesterday.

My mentor warned me that they were testy and to smoke them, but noooo I knew better!! I took about a dozen stings right through my suit!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I just got some of Mann Lake's "Pro Health" (their version of HBH). 4 tsp in a quart of 1:1 syrup. A $7 pump up sprayer from Home Despot.

One hive went ballistic when I went to open up the entrance. I light spritz of PH syrup in the entrance laid them down like a miracle. I checked 8 hives, and used ~ 1 pint. A little in the entrance, and a little across the top bars.

Some do not recommend spraying syrup, but it has always worked well in my dry climate. From what I've read, I wouldn't recommend it in more humid climates.

This was Absolutely Amazing! From hot to cold, in seconds. ( I suspect that "hot" hive was queenless/superceding).
Much more effective than smoke, both short and long term.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Colobee I do the same thing with a home made recipe of essential oil. Wintergreen and Lemongrass oil mixed into the Syrup. I also use it on frames of brood/nurse bees if I put them into a new hive to help prevent fighting. Seems to get the same results you saw. I'm not sure exactly why to be honest. If it's the lemongrass oil smell calming them, or the syrup keeping them busy, or a combination of many factors. Either way, it seems to work pretty well. How much is the "Pro Health" from Mann Lake?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
$20/pt, $90/gal. I'll be getting a gallon next time. It's Lemongrass Oil & Spearmint oil, Thymol & Lecithin. Agreed on the "cover scent" & syrup "brood intro" logic - precisely. I believe they "tank up" on the syrup, in the same fashion they do with smoke & honey. Whatever, it really works for me. The 1.75 liter FlowMaster pump sprayer makes it very handy. I haven't tried feeding it yet.

I found I could go sit beside the hives that same afternoon, without the kamikaze's that normally patrol for a few days (after opening a "hotter than usual" hive).

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
Here is the Honey B Healthy Recipe

2 ounces 100% Pure Spearmint Essential Oil
2 ounces 100% Pure Lemongrass Essential Oil

4 ounces Liquid Lecithin
4 ounces of honey
1/2 gallon of water

Warm the lecithin, water and honey together first. Then add the essential oils and blend.
Lecithin is an emulsifier and will help the oils blend together with the water.
This recipe makes approximately 1/2 gallon of Honey B Healthy and can be doubled.
Store in jars that can be shaken.
I purchased the lecithin and essential oils at the Healthy Food Store

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
About how much for the ingredients? ( for say 1/2 gallon?)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Are you sure about the amount of Essential oil in that recipe? That is a LOT. Especially in 1/2 gallon. And I mean a LOT! Oh wait... I reread your post... That recipe is just for the suppliment that you then dilute in your syrup? That would make a lot more sense.

Also, when I make syrup with EO, I don't use emulsifier at all. I used to used lethicin but I found it clumps and is a pain. Now I mix the EO with the suger first. I take a cup of sugar put the EO into it and stir until it is disbursed evenly. Then I add another cup of sugar and mix until you can't tell any EO is in there. Then I mix all the sugar together and then make the syrup like normal. Never had it seperate at all.

What is the ratio of the recipe to syrup? IE how much would you put into a gallon of 1:1 syrup?

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
As the past few times I've been going into the hive it seems that when I use smoke they tend to be more irritable and without as long as I don't bump around too much they are 10 time more tolerant does anyone notice the same thing
Nope.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts