Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post so please forgive any screw-ups. What happens if the brood boxes are almost filled with honey? What will they do with it? Currently I have two brood boxes almost filled with honey and on top of those one med. depth super. The med. depth super has about 6 frames covered in brood. P.S. If timing has anything to do with it we are in the early maple bloom period.

·
Registered
575 Posts
muskratcreekhoney,
We have all screwed up.
I would put the med box on the bottom.
The box above the brood nest I would alternate frames of nectar and drawn comb or frames of foundation.
If you have capped frames of honey I would pull some of those for other hives or put some in the freezer for future use.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds easy, thanks. Just for curiosities sake, if they needed room for brood would tyhey move the honey up to a super?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Easy answer is that they don't move honey. Not sure if that one is true though.
How did you get two deeps full of honey in the spring?:scratch: Feed them most of the winter?
This is one of the issues I have with various size supers on a hive, you can't move frames around to manipulate the brood rearing. Sounds like two deeps would have been plenty of winter stores and you wouldn't be in this situation come springtime. Something to consider next fall.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wanted to be sure they had enough going into winter so I gave them an extra med. of honey plus on top of that a super full of granulated sugar. It worked on one of my hives but my strongest hive died with plenty of honey. My guess was that they had a heavy mite load. The dead bees were clustered in different areas of the hive. I thought for sure the strong hive would make it through winter but I guess it's just another learning lesson.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts