Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first try with the Mann Lake Queen Rearing Kit after leaving the queen in it for 2 days she layed more the 1 egg in most cells up to 3 in some. now what:scratch: Thanks

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
My Jenter system says to only leave the queen for 12 hours. That's one of the difficulties of that type of system. When I left her for 18-20 hours I got double eggs and larva. When I leave her for 16 hours I usually only get one egg per cell. I suspect each queen will be different.

Two days would be way too long.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I would continue with the program and see what happens, the workers tending to the eggs will probably remove the extras leaving one to feed and draw to a cell. I've never used this system, but thats what workers do with mutiple eggs in worker cells.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would reduce the time the queen is confined. Place her in for 6-8 hours and see what she has accomplished. She may not have layed them all but you should have very few if any double lays. If you are just learning the system it should provide you with plenty of filled cells to do what you need.:D

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I would continue with the program and see what happens, the workers tending to the eggs will probably remove the extras leaving one to feed and draw to a cell. I've never used this system, but thats what workers do with mutiple eggs in worker cells.
That's what I thought too. Last year, which was the first year to use the Jenter, I noticed double eggs in a few cells when I released the queen. I assumed that they would take care of it. When I went to move the cell cups to the bars I started noticing that there were double larva floating in the royal jelly.

About one out of three had double larva that had hatched. So the bees (at least those bees) didn't fix the problem. Since I only wanted 30 out of the 100 cups, I didn't have a problem finding enough, but decided that I had left her too long.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts