Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a first year beekeeper and it has been going great. I started with a nuce and placed the five drawn frames into a deep with five blanks. long story short as of early july I now have two 10 frame deeps fully drawn and looking good. I places my first super on at the beginning of july. I checked it a week ago and they have not even begun to draw out the super:( It has now been over a month and the frames are still blank.
This july has been very dry. Im okay with going without honey but Im concerned about the bees not having enough resources to get them through the winter. I have begun feeding but I don't know how much or if thats even the answer. Please help.

Registered
If they don't have food resources available and do not have adequate stores in the hive the responsible thing to do is feed. Take the super off before feeding.

Is there typically a fall flow where you are? Check with beekeepers local to you to find out - and while you're at it find out about local feeding patterns.

In my neck of the woods surplus honey from a first year colony is a cause for celebration - and most certainly not something to be expected. Local beekeepers can fill you in on that as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts