Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mentioned the other day, the bees are hauling an orange substance during this warm spell. We've had killing freezes (low 20's), but have had several weeks of foraging weather. I put granulated sugar in the hives a few days ago. I wonder if the bees had been consuming their stores because of the warm weather.

It's 70's weather right now and all the hives are active. The forecast for the next week cools to 40's for highs and 20s for lows. Should I even need to worry about weather or not to put hive top feeders back on the hives or does the cool forecast and/or granulated sugar assure me that I've done all I need to?

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
>does the cool forecast and/or granulated sugar assure me that I've done all I need to . . .
Neither should be used as your gauge.

You know your colonies are in "good shape" IF there is ample honey stored inside. You can determine this by "counting frames" or by "weight".

Do NOT rely on dry sugar as your "winter stores".

·
Super Moderator
6,176 Posts
Well, nothing is sure in beekeeping. I'm not familiar with your area and your weather but I would check to make sure that your hives have ample stores first. In other words, are you feeding because you know that the stores are light or are you feeding because lots of beekeepers just do that around this time of year? If you know they're light, then I'd feed any way I could until they don't take it any longer. It doesn't hurt to have food that they don't want instead of them wanting food that they don't have. If you're feeding because you've read that a lot of people feed their bees going into the cold weather and you feel pretty good about the stores, you've probably done all you need to do.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Earlier in the fall I checked and they needed a little feed to get full. About three weeks ago they quit taking sugar water, so I felt they were full.

It's just that they have been so active over the last few weeks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts