Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, i am a first year bee keeper located in the southern piedmont region of NC 10 miles fron SC border with 2 hives started this past april from 5 frame nucs, they have done well since they were started, one seems to be a little stronger than the other, they were still collecting pollen 3 weeks ago and now i still see them on my deck working our flowers at times, i did not take any honey at all this year, i have 2 deep brood boxes with a medium super on top of each one they seem to have plenty of honey in the top boxes and a feeder on top of that where i fed them with medication, do i need to feed them all winter??? i have asked several locals and have gotten many differant answers:s

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
>have asked several locals and have gotten many different answers . . .
And you will get many different answers here also :)

Are you unsure of how much "reserve" honey they have (>they seem to have plenty)?

If your bees have an adequate amount of "stored" honey, they then do not need to be fed.

In the fall (before now in my apiary), bees need to cease feeding on natural and man-made sources and prepare for winter. This natural (and necessary) task can be incorrectly interrupted by the beekeeper. Constant feeding, without a "need", can be detrimental.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Oakhill...it sounds like they are in good shape and you should take the feeders off.

The thing that may...stressing MAY... be different for your area this winter is a cold stormy winter is being predicted for the Southeast. Preparations like windbreaks and even the Mountaincamp method may be important. Can't hurt...

·
Registered
98 Posts
I could have typed the same message OP. I'm doing the same thing with my first year hive. They way I figured it was if they can't take care of themselves in a good year then this just isn't the hobby for me. I took one super frame from them this year and they replaced that honey in about a couple days. I think we'll be fine, but be weary next Spring and check their reserves. If low, then feed.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Swedebee, bees will take feed in anytime pretty much! In my location the hives should way 100 to 150lbs going into winter. If they don't then you feed. Down south I would assume you still should have 75 to 100 lbs of hive weight. If not then feed. This time of year I would probably just throw some dry sugar on if I had to. The best info concerning what your hive weight should be is your local beekeepers though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts