Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i give my hives the fall flow and they pack the whole second deep full. when spring comes, it's still full and they're still down below (for the most part).

so, i don't see why i should feed them anything in the fall or the spring. the pollen coming in the spring gets them active pretty fast.

therefore, i was thinking that all they would need is some suppers when the mapples open (so they don't start crowding the brood chamber with fresh honey).

does this sound like a good idea? any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Sounds good to me. feeding sounds unnecessary for you, be glad. Be sure and offer empty super frames as you say. The queen will need empty frames in the brood rearing area to prevent swarming. If you are left with a super of honey on top and bees in the bottom in spring, you should read about Walt Wrights checkerboarding. Do a search. Basically he says if you break up that top "cap" of honey by "checkerboarding" empty drawn comb with the filled comb, they will fill them and not swarm. You may have to do this multiple times.

A local guy puts the super with honey on the bottom, then an empty one on top to have a similar effect. His record is 19 supers of honey on one hive.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts