Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently am using frames with crimped wire foundation, along with horizontal wire for support. I run this in both my deeps and mediums.

I was hoping folks might provide their opion and experiences on whether or not they embed the wire in new foundation, why and why not.

I only ask, because it would seem that the wire would get embedded naturally by the bees ounce they've worked the foundation and built out comb.

As I was putting frames together today considering my pile of 300 frames, I thinking it would save me quite a bit of time if I didn't have to embed the wire.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
I prefer to electrically embed the four cross wires in deep frames. It takes less time to embed than it does to install the foundation. I built a McIver style embeder from junk in the garage. PM me for details.

Roland

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I only use Bobby Pins to hold the wax to the frame for both deeps and shallow supers. When I spun the honey for the shallows, everything held together and no blowouts.

I have never used embedded wire.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I would say embed. Only the two center wires are needed.

Foundation crimp wires come off a roll. They have a curve in them. Installing the sheets without embedding allows the wires to curve and you get curved combs. Support pins only hold the edges straight. The center curves.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I had that same question a couple of years ago and seem to get a consensus that most people who use wax foundation embed the wire. So that's what I do. I timed myself once to get an average time on the various steps involved in making a frame. If memory serves me right I think I averaged out 90 minutes for ten frames, or 9 mins per frame. The timed steps involved were:

Counting and sorting out the peices (tops, bottoms, sides)
Hammering in brass eyelets (2 per side, 4 per frame)
building the frame ( glued and nailed)
wiring (with homemade jig that bend sides inward to get the wire tight)
inserting foundation (includes nailing in wedge peice)
embedding the wire (with car battery and 2 lengths of wire)

Of all the steps involved embedding the wire was the quickest. So the economy in time by not doing it was minimal for me. I don't know if I'm slow or fast, but that's how it worked out for me.

Luc

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I have always embedded the hoz-wires.

A thought: I have not experimented with not embedding, but would the bees tend to build more drone brood cells around those wires? This would be OK. for frames used only for honey storage, but would you want extra patches of drone brood cells [mites] permanently in brood frames?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts