Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
I am trying to sell the honey packing part of my business, I realized that I cant do it justice while running bees and raising a family. Anyone else out there have experience with running a small commercial operation and trying to pack and market all of their own honey?

·
Registered
390 Posts
The direction to go will depend on what other sources of income you get from your bee business. If it is predominately honey production and sales then you will most likely will make more money being a honey packer. For me I rely heavily on pollination income as well as honey production. If you have a strong source of income from another part of your business (pollination, nucs, queen raising) than you may want to consider fazing out the honey packing part and sell all your honey wholesale to other packers.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I am trying to sell the honey packing part of my business, I realized that I cant do it justice while running bees and raising a family. Anyone else out there have experience with running a small commercial operation and trying to pack and market all of their own honey?
It sure is tough. Of course the only child we have left in public schools is our daughter. Both boys are now in college and help out with both aspects. So I run the bees (after my regular job), and my wife packs and markets all the honey (full time). Its been tough with us, but seems to be working fine and my wife would rather work the honey packing than deal with having a boss outside the house. Yes I said it. I couldn't do it without her though. On occasion we hire extra help.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Anyone else out there have experience with running a small commercial operation and trying to pack and market all of their own honey?

Yes. Questions?

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Nothing wrong with hiring employees except as Ron pointed out nobody cares about your business like you do. So the challenge is finding an employee you don't have to babysit the whole time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts