Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Again thank you to all who have replied to my previous posts. I just have one last dilemma . I can receive only one nuc if I were to start this year !? I understand a two hive start is more advantageous but seeing how I've gotten a late start this is what I've found- one nuc and it was for someone who ordered and cancelled . So should I just wait till next year or can I try just one and add the second next year. I realize I could just do what I want but I don't like the idea of killing bees because Iam excited to get started or having a other than good first experience!? Thanks again charlie

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would jump in, get the nuc, have fun, learn to benefit your expansion next year, and try to find a local mentor or two for hands-on advice and extra resources, like brood, should you run into some issues. Is there a beekeeping club in your area? A good place to start...

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Absolutely start with one if that is all you can get your hands on. And then make friends with the folks in your local bee club. So if you need to buy a frame of brood, eggs or whatever, they will become your resource to boost your hive numbers. If you don't have a bee club out in Bozeman, MT, still start with the one nuc. And then join the various bee groups on facebook and other places on the internet so you can post pictures and ask questions. In today's computer age, you don't always need a "local mentor" to get started.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Go for it. We have an active club in the valley. Gallatin Valley Beekeepers. PM me or call me at five 8 zero - 4 seven 6 one. Where are you located in Bzm?

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you wait until you are ready and the conditions are perfect, you will probably never get around to keeping bees(or doing anything else for that matter). This is something to keep in mind when it is time to do inspections as well. Chances are you will not have ideal conditions to perform inspections. Just take what is good enough for now. On the other hand don't be stupid and open up the hive in the middle of a thunderstorm either.:no: The line we set changes with the prevailing conditions.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Go for it. We have an active club in the valley. Gallatin Valley Beekeepers. PM me or call me at five 8 zero - 4 seven 6 one. Where are you located in Bzm?
Thanks so much! I have tried to contact and have spoken with the links for nuc pick ups and that's how I got here! I hope you don't mind me taking you up on your offers thanks charlie

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your replies I appreciate your time! I will call the guy with the nuc's and set up for a pick up! Yah ho this will be good fun!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts