Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at Georgia's Master Beekeeping program and thinking of shelling out the time and $ to go git'er done. I could think of worse ways to spend a couple of Spring days than with a bunch of beeks in the North Georgia mountains. I guess my question is for those of you who are certified either by Georgia or your own state, does it really make a big difference? What has been the benifit to you?

·
Registered
508 Posts
]

It depends on your money, your time, and what you expect to get from it.

I hold a very high number of professional certifications in my own field. The process of certifying has forced me to review my knowledge in a methodical manner, and increased my familiarity with my trade. I've spent a lot of time and money certifying, and am more confident in what I do because of it.

It has opened doors, but many don't give a hoot either and may even resent the conspicuous education.

The short version: Do it for the knowledge, but not for the prestige or financial gain, and you probably won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
706 Posts
If it can help you become a better Beek and help those around you become better? Don't you think its worth it? Go for it!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I dont know anything about the program in Georgia but in NC its a 4 part program that takes several years to obtain the highest level. Found a link
http://www.ncbeekeepers.org/master.htm
I am just at the first level and this will be my third year as a beek,but any knowledge that you can obtain get it. I will probably continue on but dont know if I will go all the way. What ever your choice is good luck
Peace
Dave

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Georgia program seems to be modeled after the NC program. Same levels, similar requirements. Ga's number of beeks in the program is much less, with only one Master Carftsman in the state. The more I look into this the more I want to do it. I have thoughts of selling nucs maybe in a couple of years, and my research is telling my I need some sort of state certification/inspection to do it. However, I am thinking the certification to sell bees is different than the certifications in the Master Beekeeper Program...Leave it to the state to make it all as clear as mud. Maybe I'll learn the difference in the classes! Either way, I think I'll sign up and go spend a weekend at Young Harris taking the classes, tests and hopefully passing. My only reservations are in dealing with the state...but such are the days we live in.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I am at the "Journeyman" level of certification in the Georgia Master Beekeeper program. I am working toward my "Master" certification at present. As a part of this program, I have spoken to many groups, garden clubs and other associations regarding the importance of beekeeping. Because of this, several persons have decided to become beekeepers after hearing some of my "talks." This has been for me a very helpful and rewarding endeavor. I have sat under the instruction of some of the best beekeepers and entomologists in the country. More than that, I have met and networked with some great folks and have made many new friends. With that, I would encourage you to move forward and get your certification. You can decide how far you want to go. Some just like to get the basic "Certified Beekeeper" level and other aspire to keep on going. It's all up to you...but again, a rewarding and worthwhile endeavor. Best wishes...

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Buff whats the cost, do ya know?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts