Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen this episode, they claim that raw honey was the cause of an E- Coli outbreak. The episode is "The wanna be in the weeds" season 3 episode 14.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I remember it was quite a few years ago that there was a case of coli in honey that someone had in their kitchen for a while, then an infant died I believe after eating some. That was the whole reason they passed the law requiring the "Do not feed to infants under 2 years of age" or some such warning you always see on honey labels now. I recall reading the news items about when then happened. ...or was it botulism? I can't even remember now it was years ago.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
You're thinking of infant botulism. About 1 baby a year in the US gets infant botulism.

If you stop feeding the baby honey when they get sick, they will recover. If you continue feeding them honey they can die from the botulism.

More babies die from falling out of the crib, or SIDS. I suspect more babies suffocate on plastic grocery bags than die from infant botulism.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Look for and read Ross Conrads articles in Bee Culture. He did some articles on the subject of botulism and honey. He also covers it in his book.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Preposterous! Coliforms cannot survive in the high sugar, hyperosmolar environment of honey. Maybe they were thinking of spore formers?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts